• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start Date being postponed after signing the contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The agent is simply apologising and telling me he cannot do anything as client has extended the date. There is a one month notice and start date and end date mentioned in the contract. He is now going to send me a new contract with the new start date and end date...I am not sure even if the client would turn up again and postpone the start day once again.
    Its just a piece of paper which client will just alter anytime they want. Its just like they are depriving me off my livlihood..must be illegal...i think should start hunting for another client

Thanks for help guys..

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKshatri View Post
      The agent is simply apologising and telling me he cannot do anything as client has extended the date. There is a one month notice and start date and end date mentioned in the contract. He is now going to send me a new contract with the new start date and end date...I am not sure even if the client would turn up again and postpone the start day once again.
      Its just a piece of paper which client will just alter anytime they want. Its just like they are depriving me off my livlihood..must be illegal...i think should start hunting for another client

Thanks for help guys..
      You should have started hunting for another client at the first sign of trouble.

Its not illegal - quite normal. Happened to me once and it all worked out in the end.

Good luck.

Comment

..must be illegal...
        But it isn't.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Look for another contract ASAP.

Comment

Thank you you guy...Very helpful forum, was nice to be here.

Enjoy the evening!

Comment

Pretend you're happy to wait while you're searching, to keep your options open.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I am not sure even if the client would turn up again and postpone the start day once again.

Thanks for help guys..
                Far from unlikely the client may postpone again or repeatedly, as a contractor you're a flexible resource, it's part of the reason we charge a premium rate.

Yes until you're actually on site and getting timesheets signed off a contract is basically JUST a piece of paper.

Not illegal, again as a contractor you're a flexible resource, if you can't cope with an uncertain working pattern where the client can (and will) just terminate with no notice because they've changed their mind, then think again about contracting as that's the harsh and simple reality of contracting.

Comment

When it comes to finding contracts/extensions, you want several fingers in several pies.

Comment

Worrying. If its been delayed twice then possibly it hasnt been signed off at the client end yet.

Some manager jumps the gun then gets told to hold on. Or some senior manager decides to put the stops on it.

Might not be though. Might be a genuine reason that the project is just not ready.

I'd deffo have been looking from day 1 though. It could still work out but you don't want to be waiting around and miss other things for them to turn around and say sorry about that but its cancelled.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      I'd deffo have been down the dole office sponging off the state from day 1 though.
                      FTFY
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X