• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reimbursing backdated expenses after giving notice? Please help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Not legally, no.

Unless they are the employer and are genuinely finding work for the employee. If they are acting as a traditional / normal umbrella does, then no because they aren't the employer in the eyes of the Borders Agency.
    Border agency audits such companies regularly, this one included. I would really appeciate if the thread was kept on topic as it is a rather important issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by brother52 View Post
      Border agency audits such companies regularly, this one included. I would really appeciate if the thread was kept on topic as it is a rather important issue for me.
      More important than whether you have been working in this country illegally?
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Are you on T2 and working under direction and control of the Umbrella?

And if you have resigned is your visa curtailed?

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
          More important than whether you have been working in this country illegally?
          I repeat, there is no problem with the legalities of this. I understand that some people can't help accusing others so they can feel better about themselves, but there are websites better suited for that.

Comment

I repeat, there is no problem with the legalities of this. I understand that some people can't help accusing others so they can feel better about themselves, but there are websites better suited for that.
            Well, that has really encouraged me to try and help you.
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

I would really appeciate if the thread was kept on topic as it is a rather important issue for me.
              If your employer refuses to pay it out as expenses, then you need to follow the advice Lisa gave you in post 10. That's the only option available to you.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Oh but there is. T2 is not for contracting, it's for salaried employment under direction and control of the employer. Stirring things up with HMRC is only going to get you a good rogering and they do check.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Oh but there is. T2 is not for contracting, it's for salaried employment under direction and control of the employer. Stirring things up with HMRC is only going to get you a good rogering and they do check.
                  Contracting is just a word I use. Technically and legally it is delivery of services by the employer. There were quite a few restrictions on work I was able to do because of that and I don't suppose it would be dangerous to talk to HMRC, but thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Sometimes it's about getting a visa to work here as well
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Contracting is just a word I use. Technically and legally it is delivery of services by the employer. There were quite a few restrictions on work I was able to do because of that and I don't suppose it would be dangerous to talk to HMRC, but thanks for pointing it out.
                      If your umbrella company is not on this list https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2014-05-14.pdf you have been working in the UK illegally.
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X