• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time Contract Issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the others say - definitely bypass the agency and talk to the client to find out what's happening here. The agency won't like it but just ignore their bluster.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
      Yes I have ready prepared scans too (passport suitably redacted) and there's no delay when the time comes.

It's called being in control. - Let's have a signed contract and we'll take it from there.

Also it helps being able to stall for longer on the Opt-out that they are so desperate to have signed, "sure, I'll send it over with all the other stuff", until it's a such done deal that they won't risk losing.

That said, I really can't imagine an agency getting flustered about this without a contract on the table so "unnecessary conflict" is somewhat overstating it IMHO.
      In many instances agencies would be breaking the law to give you a signed contract without you at least proving your ID. It's even more important for agencies to do so if you're not opting out. Often they must see originals or certified copies.

What are they going to do with your details that makes you so worried about handing them over?

Pointless anecdote time: A colleague of mine at a gig a couple of years ago had the same attitude "it's my private information". A very quick google search of him had everything on that list bar his passport number, he had his banking details on his website. His LinkedIn profile was so detailed, and public, that I could make a very convincing case of identity fraud. Yet he was complaining about having to provide proof of address to an agency...

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        In many instances agencies would be breaking the law to give you a signed contract without you at least proving your ID. It's even more important for agencies to do so if you're not opting out. Often they must see originals or certified copies.
        Technically, all they need is a letter from your company which certifies that all representatives are entitled to work in the UK (or wherever) and that their identities have been verified by their employer.

If a client gets Accidenture in, do they ask to see ID for everyone that turns up on site?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          Technically, all they need is a letter from your company which certifies that all representatives are entitled to work in the UK (or wherever) and that their identities have been verified by their employer.

If a client gets Accidenture in, do they ask to see ID for everyone that turns up on site?
          Depends on the client.

Some clients have a rule that everyone on site has to prove their ID for security purposes and the security office just happens to have some links with HR........
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post

What are they going to do with your details that makes you so worried about handing them over?

Pointless anecdote <snipped>
            Maybe you could read my original reply to the OP in context.

If the agent doesn't have the contract in the bag then they're not going to be stressing for tick box exercises. Anyway I'm bored of this now.

Comment

Working...
            X