• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Copyright - Star Wars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    I did a short stint at the IPO and the gist was that IF you could reasonably expect the use of the name might cause some confusion (not defined as to how thick the 'confusee' might be sadly) over your's and IP 'owners' business then you'd be in breach.
    Granada TV tried to stop Ford calling their car the Granada and failed because there wouldn't be any confusion between the two.

Wombles Skip Hire were made to change their name because there might be confusion with the Wombles, who are renowned for clearing rubbish away.

If Tatooine (or whatever) is a registered trademark then you're into more difficulty.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Granada TV tried to stop Ford calling their car the Granada and failed because there wouldn't be any confusion between the two.
      Yeah, but Ford has got enough money to afford top legal eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Well two points here and I think they are down to your example but you would also get jumped on twice for the second one. The IT giant could pull one of two lines. One is the unsavoury nature of the business affecting the brand of the like sounding IT company. Slightly different law I think but still trouble and also as per the YouView vs Yourview it can still be pulled for sounding confusing. Diff products but names too similar.

I know picking on an example that probably isn't the best but thought I would just say.
        Indeed - I remember the 'chubby checker' app got sued.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          Tatooine was just an example.

I was actually thinking about starting a company called Dagobah Systems, but the domain name has been taken anyway, so balls to it.
          If you've got kids and they're boys you could call it Tatooine Systems & Sons Ltd.

Think about it.

Comment

I am thinking of changing mine to reflect one man band status.

Hans Solo Software Solutions Ltd

Thanks

Hans

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
              Start an IT Co, call it MacroSoft - get jumped on
              Just like poor old Mike Rowe

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Just like poor old Mike Rowe
                All he got was a MSDN sub, he should have held out for a few million.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                  I think Lucas would probably be ok about it. After all, he did nick it in the first place from these guys who happened to be next to where the filming took place.

I went there once. Had the tulips. I wouldn't recommend the place.
                  I stayed in d'Jedidi nearby and had a similar experience.
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

S'all good

Tatooine is not registered with the IPO in any way, so it is free to use. However I would not try and register it as Lucas Film / Disney will object and then retroactively apply for IPO.

Death Star is registered but only for the purposes of toys.
                    Intellectual Property Office - By number results

But as all said, don't flash it around, and do not do any work for Disney.

Comment

Working...
                    X