• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LTD but not required to submit SA/personal tax returns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would always recommend that a contractor who operates through their own limited company should complete a tax return each year.

Most contractor accountants include the director's tax return as part of the normal service so it should not be any great effort to have one submitted on their behalf.

Alan

Comment

Also the other aspect to my question was if the director only ever withdraws within the upper tax threshold to avoid attrating higher tax and hence having to return a SA, how does he then extract the funds that eventually build up in the business account without attracting additional tax? only way I could think of is liquidating the company. Is that common practice though?

Comment

I'd agree with Alan that there's no harm in doing one.

Re build up of funds, pension scheme would be a common one, occasionally taking extra dividends and accepting the personal tax hit on it, or going through an MVL then taking a break like you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
          I would always recommend that a contractor who operates through their own limited company should complete a tax return each year.

Most contractor accountants include the director's tax return as part of the normal service so it should not be any great effort to have one submitted on their behalf.

Alan
          I would agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            Not according to HMR&C and they're the ones who tend to get a bit stroppy about that sort of thing
            Maslins has picked up on a technical point, and is right, there is no legislative requirement for a Director to register for self-assessment. The HMRC however do have a 'policy' where all company directors are to file a personal tax return. Its one of those rare cases (not!) where HMRC policy does not reflect the legislation (section 7 & 8 of Taxes Management Act 1970).

Having said that, I agree its good practice that all Directors complete a personal tax return.
            2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
              Maslins has picked up on a technical point, and is right, there is no legislative requirement for a Director to register for self-assessment. The HMRC however do have a 'policy' where all company directors are to file a personal tax return. Its one of those rare cases (not!) where HMRC policy does not reflect the legislation (section 7 & 8 of Taxes Management Act 1970).
              Funnily I had this very discussion with my accountant but on my wife's behalf. She is a director of MyLtd but receives no salary (she does have a 10% shareholding). Our accountant said she didn't need to fill in a SA, but I queried saying the HMRC webite said she did. He said don't worry as the HMRC policy is not backed up by legislation - however if tax was due that is a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post

Having said that, I agree its good practice that all Directors complete a personal tax return.
                Interesting, thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                X