• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bookkeeping software for total morons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    I knew it could submit VAT returns (although I always type them manually into the HMRC website anyway, never tried it).

Can't find the option to submit PAYE or CT returns.
    Kingcook's right on this. We work v closely with FreeAgent, at least at present you can submit VAT returns from it, but not PAYE or CT returns.

It's being developed all the time. My guess is rather than ever submitting PAYE returns instead they'll link with an existing cloud payroll product. For CT, I think this is on their road map, but still some way off (I think years rather than months).

If you want something much cheaper (though also less sophisticated), look at VT Cashbook. Completely free, and is basically Excel with nobs on.

Comment

Come on we're contractors!

1. IBM Power7 770

2. AIX O/S running Oracle RAC with a GPFS SAN backend.

3. Oracle Financials

4. Chartered Accountancy Course

Easy

Comment

I had a play around with FreeAgent before I started trading and liked what I saw, unfortunately I ran out of trial time before I had any actual figures so didn't get to put it through its paces. I emailed FreeAgent yesterday with a cheeky request for a second trial, got an email response saying they would deal with my enquiry Monday to Friday, then within a couple of hours had an email from them saying "not a problem" and extended my trial period by another month!

Absolutely top service from them, and having got my figures in there, I think I'm going to continue with the service as it gives such a clear picture of my business, whilst I love Excel, FreeAgent is the mutts nuts.

You can get 10% off as well by being referred to FreeAgent by another user which takes the annual cost down to £200 excl. VAT

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Spent days trying to do accounts for my small business because of my sister's dire bookkeeping using Excel.

Text in numeric/date fields, duplicate invoice numbers, invoice amounts that don't match totals of things ordered (I put a check column in but she keeps f* it up), orders apparently consisting only of postage costs, invoices marked paid that haven't been etc etc. When Is ask for corrections I usually get even more errors.

Is there any idiot-proof invoicing software that generates necessary records each time an invoice is done? Cheers.
          What sort of business is it? Me for my contracting am using Crunch, very good for a contractor with a brain. Though it sound like you sister is doing some kind of "real" business, buying and selling stuff?

I'm looking for something similar as I'm help start my o/h with a new business. Needs some stock control, invoiceing and accounting. She's not an absolute moron, but doesn't do maths. Like when I mentioned percentages her head twists round and she starts to puke buckets of green vomit. It's hard to find something that sits in between "cashbook sales an purchases" and a full blown "ERP with warehouse management". Ideally looking for something to run on the ipad so she doesn't have to carry a heavy laptop around with her and can use barcodes on the camera like redlaser. then there's less chance of keying errors etc. (I hope). Will let you know once I've found the right product. Slow going though as there's so many "solutions". Ideally I want the back end on the cloud so it's platform independent and backup is done automatically.

Isn't it a pain working in IT, I can't just buy any old piece of carp and have ended up starting to write a set of user requirements. I'm never going to moan and the end clients again for not bothering.
          Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Don't know whereabouts in Yorkshire you're from - but we don't marry our sisters !!!

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Spent days trying to do accounts for my small business because of my sister's dire bookkeeping using Excel.

Text in numeric/date fields, duplicate invoice numbers, invoice amounts that don't match totals of things ordered (I put a check column in but she keeps f* it up), orders apparently consisting only of postage costs, invoices marked paid that haven't been etc etc. When Is ask for corrections I usually get even more errors.

Is there any idiot-proof invoicing software that generates necessary records each time an invoice is done? Cheers.
            Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If that happened in Yorkshire they would divorce her and then sue her for damages!
            Northernladuk - sorry - but "Gods own County" isn't Norfolk last time I checked .....

I take it you're from one of the hilltribes, near the Lancashire border .....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Come on we're contractors!

1. IBM Power7 770

2. AIX O/S running Oracle RAC
              Ah, so you'll be needing another p770 then, sir. No problem, let me just add that up for you ....

Comment

Working...
              X