• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
    Sorry to interrupt the flow of the thread, but I've just figured out what s58 reminds me of.

It's a 1993 party-political broadcast for the Labour Party (ironically), featuring Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie. The victims of s58 are, entirely unintentionally, represented by the Small Businessman who appears at 3:40s into the video.

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie Labour Party Political Broadcast 25th November 1993 - YouTube
    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by p4nd4b34r View Post
      should we be doing this now?
      Long way off for that one....
      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by p4nd4b34r View Post
        should we be doing this now?
        We can't until we receive some sort of notice to pay.

HMRC seem to be too busy at the moment stuffing the people who are running Ltd companies with the "IR35 gotcha" letters.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          We can't until we receive some sort of notice to pay.

HMRC seem to be too busy at the moment stuffing the people who are running Ltd companies with the "IR35 gotcha" letters.
          yeah they can send all the letters they like they still have to win a court case

Comment

not very happy

just had a reply to my 'post gauke' letter to MP - using template and relevant docs etc...

runs along the lines of 'been out of the country for a week and hear you've dared to be in touch again even though ive told you to b@gger off before and as i've told you before there's nothing i can do so b@gger off - mentions the been through the courts bit etc again'

what really p's me off is that it appears that he has'nt even bothered to read the response that i sent him, his admin people have obviously told him i've been in touch and he's not interested....

what a great democracy we live in !

Comment

Originally posted by bollox View Post
              just had a reply to my 'post gauke' letter to MP - using template and relevant docs etc...

runs along the lines of 'been out of the country for a week and hear you've dared to be in touch again even though ive told you to b@gger off before and as i've told you before there's nothing i can do so b@gger off - mentions the been through the courts bit etc again'

what really p's me off is that it appears that he has'nt even bothered to read the response that i sent him, his admin people have obviously told him i've been in touch and he's not interested....

Don't get to despondent. its the political way, you have to keep chipping away until they realise that we are NOT going away.
              MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Yep, Ben Wallace my MP is now failing to respond to my mails. I've even mailed for surgery times and places and still no reply! So, another going off as we speak.

However, although a very small number of MP's are receptive (wonder if they are in marginal seats?) I think there is a closing of ranks going on now by MP's.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

He's obviously not read your letter then. This was never going to be easy but we just have to keep chipping away. If they don't answer our emails, we need to send the letter via registered post. I'd also call the MP and even go as far as just turning up at a surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                    He's obviously not read your letter then. This was never going to be easy but we just have to keep chipping away. If they don't answer our emails, we need to send the letter via registered post. I'd also call the MP and even go as far as just turning up at a surgery.
                    Most of us on this forum are entering into unfamiliar territory; politics is a very dry and sometimes an unreasonable subject.

This unfair course of events is important to us and dear to all of our hearts and health with livelihoods and retirement plans in jeopardy also the threat of certainty torn to shreds with the injustice being served on us all, collectively our local MP’s and the Government do not see this subject important or high on their agenda to rectify, my MP has told me the sum that HMRC are trying to collect is miniscule when put into perspective of Treasury figures, although it could be said that for some individuals the figures are relevant whilst striving to collect the bonuses in their pay packets.

We will be told on many occasions to go away… ‘There’s nothing I can do’

Never give in, carry on the fight.

Eventually we will be heard.
                    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      Yep, Ben Wallace my MP is now failing to respond to my mails. I've even mailed for surgery times and places and still no reply! So, another going off as we speak.

However, although a very small number of MP's are receptive (wonder if they are in marginal seats?) I think there is a closing of ranks going on now by MP's.
                      Worth letting him know that you're talking to the local press? "I'm facing bankruptcy and provided Ben Wallace with evidence that HMRC lied in court and misled parliament but his office won't even answer the phone to me. Is this how we want our MP to to treat us, his constituents, when we are in very real distress?"
                      Last edited by Guttersnipe; 14 June 2012, 12:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X