• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    I wonder does this imply the suspensions of the APN's purely applies to that scheme or it means that HMRC cant send them to anyone until this is heard?
    The suspension only applies to the 100 or so individuals named as parties to the JR.

Comment

I like this article too:

Use of APN power could backfire on HMRC, says expert

They are expecting everyone to just roll over - they haven't got the resources to deal with a mass rebellion...

If only 10% of taxpayers receiving an APN resist, that would amount to 4,300 taxpayers disputing their APN, negotiating time to pay, pressing HMRC for progress and applying to the tribunal for closure notices or, as HMRC is anticipating, pursuing judicial review. And regardless of what HMRC says, in too many cases it has been HMRC delay, in some cases lasting for years, that has been the single biggest impediment to cases being resolved, so enquiries will have to be resurrected years after the last engagement.

If the level of resistance to APNs is higher still, say 40% or 50%, then even if such resistance is ultimately futile, the scale of the task facing HMRC has the potential to bring the tax system itself to a halt, leaving HMRC’s entire counter avoidance strategy in a smouldering mess.
      It is possible that all those affected will simply line up with their chequebooks in their hands, but it is not likely, and HMRC's aggressive strategy may end up backfiring badly.
      Last edited by SantaClaus; 10 February 2015, 23:54.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        It is possible that all those affected will simply line up with their chequebooks in their hands.[/I]
        I'd love to but I seem to have mislaid my chequebook.

HMRC surely deserve something for clarifying the rules of 1989 and keeping this out of the courts for 12 years until they were better prepared. Oh yes, I know what I'd like to give them.

Comment

I'm just loving hearing the Tories and Labour tear each other apart over their 'dodgy donors'. Just confirms what we all knew all along, they shielded their own and went after the plebs. I'm just waiting for yet another redefinition of what tax avoidance is. Maybe someone at some point will ask where all Cameron's family money came from and how much tax they paid when they inherited it or how Hodge the Dodge got her nickname. I mean, we're all equal under the law, right?

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
            I'm just loving hearing the Tories and Labour tear each other apart over their 'dodgy donors'. Just confirms what we all knew all along, they shielded their own and went after the plebs. I'm just waiting for yet another redefinition of what tax avoidance is. Maybe someone at some point will ask where all Cameron's family money came from and how much tax they paid when they inherited it or how Hodge the Dodge got her nickname. I mean, we're all equal under the law, right?
            If there's such a thing as Karma, hopefully the govt. will fall on their own sword.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Risk taking avoiders will probably incur penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                If there's such a thing as Karma, hopefully the govt. will fall on their own sword.
                I really hope this come to the surface now: David Cameron's family fortune: the Jersey, Panama and Geneva connection | Politics | The Guardian

Comment

Maybe it will....

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  ....if we get tweeting it.....

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                    ....if we get tweeting it.....
                    already done!

Comment

Montpelier sending out 2 letters this week

One is an update on the Huitson FTT and ECHR.

The other concerns APNs.

NTRT will be sending out a newsletter in the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                      X