• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
    I know a couple of people who've had these letters requesting repayment of the loans.

Maybe Montpelier are strapped for cash. I know they are not running any schemes now.
    What "loans" are these? Did they only apply in the early days of the double taxation arrangement? I was a latecomer, and I've never heard of loans being involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
      What "loans" are these? Did they only apply in the early days of the double taxation arrangement? I was a latecomer, and I've never heard of loans being involved.

In the earlier days of the scheme, the deductions by MTM/Montpelier were
      1) 3% for MTM (Scheme provider)
      2) 3% for Montpelier (at that time an 'Agency')
      3) A further 4% for MTM - deferred until such time as your tax return was eventually accepted by the IR. If your tax return was not accepted, this 4% 'loan' remained with you (the client). In a way it was a kind of no-win, no-fee element.
      I too recently received a letter from Montpelier asking for repayment of this 4% element for one particular tax year as they thought for some reason my tax return had been accepted by HMRC. I sent them a copy of the relevant HMRC letter which stated I was actually still under investigation for this year and have heard no more from Montpelier ever since. Hope this clarifies.

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
        In the earlier days of the scheme, the deductions by MTM/Montpelier were
        1) 3% for MTM (Scheme provider)
        2) 3% for Montpelier (at that time an 'Agency')
        3) A further 4% for MTM - deferred until such time as your tax return was eventually accepted by the IR. If your tax return was not accepted, this 4% 'loan' remained with you (the client). In a way it was a kind of no-win, no-fee element.
        I too recently received a letter from Montpelier asking for repayment of this 4% element for one particular tax year as they thought for some reason my tax return had been accepted by HMRC. I sent them a copy of the relevant HMRC letter which stated I was actually still under investigation for this year and have heard no more from Montpelier ever since. Hope this clarifies.
        Ah right. That makes sense. I only ever had full 10% deducted at source. Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          If wealthy footballers are struggling to pay APNs, what will happen when HMRC start issuing them to tens of thousands of contractors?
          Speaking of which.... only a few days later

Match of the Day's Danny Murphy and Martin Keown stung with tax bill | Daily Mail Online

Originally posted by DailyMail
          'He will be on six figures at the Beeb but paying off £2.5million would be a struggle for anyone. The megastars on big wages are able to pay but for others it is proving a huge struggle
          Looks like APNs are landing on the doormats of the film schemes.

Originally posted by DailyMail
          MailOnline understands neither Mr Murphy or Mr Keown have settled with HMRC yet but are likely to do a deal and pay back at least some of the money tax collectors have demanded
          Oh, really...

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            Speaking of which.... only a few days later

Match of the Day's Danny Murphy and Martin Keown stung with tax bill | Daily Mail Online

Looks like APNs are landing on the doormats of the film schemes.

Oh, really...
            "do a deal and pay back at least some of the money tax collectors have demanded"

I would like that deal too please!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              "do a deal and pay back at least some of the money tax collectors have demanded"

I would like that deal too please!
              The only "deal" HMRC offers on film schemes is the one announced in January 2013 and which has not changed since.

The settlement offer on some film schemes varies (i.e. is worse) than that in some cases as HMRC say that the standard terms "don't apply".

No particular reason is given for this.

You should regard the "do a deal" phrase as a bit of journalistic fantasy that has little to do with reality. A bit like HMRC thinking contractors will accept the present offer.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                The only "deal" HMRC offers on film schemes is the one announced in January 2013 and which has not changed since.

The settlement offer on some film schemes varies (i.e. is worse) than that in some cases as HMRC say that the standard terms "don't apply".

You should regard the "do a deal" phrase as a bit of journalistic fantasy that has little to do with reality. A bit like HMRC thinking contractors will accept the present offer.
                dont worry I was being incredibly sarcastic, been on this forum long enough to read between the lines. However should a precedent be set, then Im in!

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post

That may be so but the prominent scheme provider is taking this all the way through the courts. Here's hoping they give hmrc a very bloody nose.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    That may be so but the prominent scheme provider is taking this all the way through the courts. Here's hoping they give hmrc a very bloody nose.
                    Here's hoping but the outcome is binary - win everything or lose everything.

If the provider wins I guarantee that HMRC will say it's not the same as others and will continue the fight.

Dig in for the long haul.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

We now know two of them..

Gary Lineker's own goal: Match of the Day pundit stung with £1.3million tax bill | Daily Mail Online
                      Last edited by anonymouse; 31 January 2015, 11:19.

Comment

Working...
                      X