• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New press release from NTRT on the website

Our lobbying company have issued a press release which can be found here:

Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

Please tweet a link the article and also retweet the @no2retrotax tweet when it comes out.

Thanks

Santa
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Section 28A(5) TMA 1970

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      It was closed in 2006.

The letter came from a Senior Special Investigator so it will be hard for HMRC to claim this was accidental.

The person who tipped me off believes there were others who had their enquiries closed. In fact this was the reason he stayed in the scheme ie. because HMRC had accepted DTA claims.
      Fascinating stuff DR. Your sleuthing abilities rival that of Columbo.

So are we saying this ....

If HMRC opened enquiries on a hunch or belief that something would later help cement the reason for their enquiries but, at the time, they could not site any specific legislation (although they may not have been strictly required to do so i.e. "let's go fishing"), then an appeal to a tax commissioner stating that 'no specific reason existed for the enquiry' in the first place OR "case management prohibits wider lines of enquiry from being used retrospectively' could bring about closure of the 'NIL' variety.

HMRC vs Tower MCashback
      http://www.olswang.com/pdfs/tower%20mcashback.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        Our lobbying company have issued a press release which can be found here:

Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation

Please tweet a link the article and also retweet the @no2retrotax tweet when it comes out.

Thanks

Santa
        Santa thats from the 19th May so dont see that as new unless Im missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          Santa thats from the 19th May so dont see that as new unless Im missing something?
          Refresh your browser mate. There's a new entry 25th May.

Better still... direct link to article http://notoretrotax.org.uk/retrospec...l-uncertainty/

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            Refresh your browser mate. There's a new entry 25th May.

Better still... direct link to article Retrospective tax campaign warns of £528m raid on UK companies through legal uncertainty | No To Retrospective Taxation
            Aha! thought I was missing something...

Comment

FOI request winging their way

FOI Request
              Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 25 May 2012, 11:09.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                Aha! thought I was missing something...
                May have been a problem on my part too as I hadn't checked the right categories in Wordpress. Should be sorted now.

Comment

It was closed in 2006.
                  So if this was closed in 2006 are HRMC still attempting to back date and apply S58 to these closed tax years for the individual(s) concerned?

Comment

Today I was presented with evidence which appears to show that HMRC allowed some Montpelier DTA claims.

Specifically they:

1) opened an enquiry into the user's tax return (within the 12-month window)
                    2) followed up with a letter citing Archer Shee and Section 739 as a basis for challenge
                    3) closed the enquiry with no amendment

The person who handed me this is aware of others who also had enquiries closed with nothing to pay.

PS.

HMRC cannot re-open enquiries once they have been closed, so anyone who comes forward has nothing to fear.
                    Sounds like another line of defence when my tribunal appeal is heard. Assuming I am number 3000 that will be 2018?

Comment

you are being vexatious again! you naughty boy
                      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                      X