• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had an idea.
    Present the UK with demand for the required amount. Lets call it an APN.
    This could stand for Accelerated Payment Notice.
    Give them 90 days to pay and then bung a non-refundable 50% fine on top of it?

On 2nd thoughts, this would get laughed at, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbionRovers View Post
      I've had an idea.
      Present the UK with demand for the required amount. Lets call it an APN.
      This could stand for Accelerated Payment Notice.
      Give them 90 days to pay and then bung a non-refundable 50% fine on top of it?

On 2nd thoughts, this would get laughed at, wouldn't it?
      Class:-D

Comment

Oh, the irony

However, it isn't Dave and George that have to stump up the cash - we are the ones that will end up paying.

In fact they will probably announce they will raise the cash by "targeting tax dodgers" even harder.

Comment

A taste of their own medicine

'Retroactively taxing someone over 20 years is fundamentally unfair.'

Indeed.

Britain close to leaving the EU warns David Cameron as he refuses £1.7bn bill | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Thank you WG

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Whatever WG would do, HMRC will never settle.

Settlement is no good to me - I will go bankrupt if we have to pay anything.

But I wish you good luck with getting a settlement for yourself.
            Late as ever to keep up with this forum, but may I say thanks Mr Gittins for a good laugh and reassurance that you are still fighting. Thank goodness some of the judiciary are still independent of government.

Comment

Originally posted by honeyridges View Post
              'Retroactively taxing someone over 20 years is fundamentally unfair.'

Indeed.

Britain close to leaving the EU warns David Cameron as he refuses £1.7bn bill | Daily Mail Online
              I'm sure Cameron knew about this demand for a long time.

Doesn't anyone think it's a coincidence he pulls this one out of the hat one week after talking about opting out of European Human Rights legislation and having our own kangaroo court "human rights" act?
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Same here .. could someone PM me a copy please?

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                i havent got one, think MP have an old address for me. Can someone PM me a copy?? please..............................
                Same here .. could someone PM me a copy please? Thanks

Comment

"I think retrospective taxation is always a bad thing." - Damian Green on the Daily Politics 5 minutes ago (w/r to the 1.7bn EU bill).

Comment

Originally posted by jlg15333 View Post
                    Same here .. could someone PM me a copy please? Thanks
                    I have also moved. To a council flat, this whole mess has basically killed me. Can someone PM me (I am a NTRT member, same username).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      "I think retrospective taxation is always a bad thing." - Damian Green on the Daily Politics 5 minutes ago (w/r to the 1.7bn EU bill).
                      Should we be starting another letter writing campaign / round of meetings with MPs to remind them of that precise fact? I would say this would be a very embarrassing time for the Government to have their hypocrisy pointed out to anyone who will listen. I wonder how many Tories who were quick to wash their hands of us would like to have us highlight that they are actually all for retrospective taxes, but only when they get to apply it to their own citizens.

Comment

Working...
                      X