• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any chnace of PM'ing me the letter please

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Bit bemused by it really. Thought it a bit of a joke.

At least there's confirmation they'll carry the fight on.
    I haven't received anything. I could do with a laugh...thanks

Comment

MP letter

Could someone kindly PM me the letter. I'm working away from home at the moment. Cheers

Comment

Letter

Yes, I read it and concluded that WG is going to throw everything at clearing his name and his business name. Good news for us; bad news for HMRC.

I wonder how much the legal fight will cost the tax payer? vs how much they will actually recoup. A lot of people will go bankrupt and a hell of a lot more will skip the country

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
          Yes, I read it and concluded that WG is going to throw everything at clearing his name and his business name. Good news for us; bad news for HMRC.

I wonder how much the legal fight will cost the tax payer? vs how much they will actually recoup. A lot of people will go bankrupt and a hell of a lot more will skip the country
          HMRC have put him into a corner, if he ever wants to do business ever again he has no choice. Maybe a miscalc by HMRC, they either thought he would get scared off and fold when threatened with the legal case or would lose the case. Either way he goes away in HMRC's eyes..They didnt expect the outcome and consequence IMHO.

Comment

"They either thought he would get scared off and fold when threatened with the legal case or would lose the case. Either way he goes away in HMRC's eyes. They didnt expect the outcome and consequence IMHO"

Precisely, smalldog! Welcome inside the mind of the sociopath, where such a thing as "principles" simply does not exist, only intimidation and sheer firepower (not to mention underhanded shenanigans where necessary).
            I delighted in WG's victory and certainly hope it's not the end.
            Don't know the details of what is planned, but whatever it is, God bless this guy. Can't wait for HMRC to take their next beating.
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

+1

The only thing I would say is that bankruptcy threat might be receeding. In WG Liverpool case he let HMRC think he was beaten and led them into a false sense of security. Then hit them with a knockout blow.

I thought he would skip the country - I would have done. But clearly he is a long term player. 3 months is the blink of an eye for him.

The only thing is that it has been 6.5 years since this started and no end date in sight.

I hope that WG, once he has won, will fund a class action suing HMRC for the unnecessary stress they have caused by untruths.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                +1

The only thing I would say is that bankruptcy threat might be receeding. In WG Liverpool case he let HMRC think he was beaten and led them into a false sense of security. Then hit them with a knockout blow.

I thought he would skip the country - I would have done. But clearly he is a long term player. 3 months is the blink of an eye for him.

The only thing is that it has been 6.5 years since this started and no end date in sight.

I hope that WG, once he has won, will fund a class action suing HMRC for the unnecessary stress they have caused by untruths.
                And let's not forget that WG knows something about the HMRC officers involved that none of the rest of us do. Here's hoping he gets a chance to bring it into the open if he needs to. Maybe we'll finally find out why we were targeted. Bet there's a few of them crapping themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                  And let's not forget that WG knows something about the HMRC officers involved that none of the rest of us do. Here's hoping he gets a chance to bring it into the open if he needs to. Maybe we'll finally find out why we were targeted. Bet there's a few of them crapping themselves.
                  Its odd - they seem so stupid carrying on down this path. Confirms my view its a fight to the death. Won't stop me crapping myself over the next few years - but I am now more optimistic than at any time over the last 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                    Maybe WG declined Brannigan and Hartnetts offer of a 3 way gay fest?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Its odd - they seem so stupid carrying on down this path. Confirms my view its a fight to the death. Won't stop me crapping myself over the next few years - but I am now more optimistic than at any time over the last 3 years.
                      Indeed, a fight to the death between WG and HMRC leaving us caught in the cross-fire with no possibility of a negotiated settlement. I'm aware that most people on this forum are not interested in a settlement and NTRT don't appear to have the appetite for this but I shall continue to discuss with HMRC although I have to say that I'm getting nowhere fast. WG and HMRC are making a settlement impossible.

Comment

Working...
                      X