• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
    Have either of you had a meeting with this MP?
    Not yet. But a request for a meeting will accompany the KO19.

Comment

Originally posted by Wembley53 View Post
      Not yet. But a request for a meeting will accompany the KO19.
      He's probably one of the MPs who received the sermon from Gauke, so be prepared for him playing very hard to get.

Comment

Im really struggling here, has Gauke been told that HMRC DID NOT make the case the scheme didnt work, and if so what has he said about that small (HUGE!!!!) point that he seems happy to throw around as fact?

Prove it Gaukey, show us letters from HMRC saying the scheme didnt work..

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          Im really struggling here, has Gauke been told that HMRC DID NOT make the case the scheme didnt work, and if so what has he said about that small (HUGE!!!!) point that he seems happy to throw around as fact?
          I don't think he wants to listen or discuss it.

From another MP:

"he is acutely aware of the representations being made to MPs by constituents such as yourself and the campaign from 'No to Retro Tax'. But he is resolute that this is a tax avoidance measure closed by the previous Labour Government and the time to stop it was then, not now"

Comment

How beneficial are you to the UK economy?? According to this I put in a LOT more graft than the average UK worker and I’m pretty certain the same can be said for most of us caught by S58.

Shame then that I and others will become a drain on the economy should HMRC (and Gauke) get their way and force me into bankruptcy!! Well done HMRC, well thought out!!
            Last edited by Fireship; 24 May 2012, 12:34. Reason: Fat fingers

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

From another MP:

"he is acutely aware of the representations being made to MPs by constituents such as yourself and the campaign from 'No to Retro Tax'. But he is resolute that this is a tax avoidance measure closed by the previous Labour Government and the time to stop it was then, not now"

What a complete to$$er, how could we have challenged it then ? when we were told that whilst the HR court process was in progress that had to be exhausted first ? But I suppose that's the spin of a politician !!
              MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post

Prove it Gaukey, show us letters from HMRC saying the scheme didnt work..
                Technical Note 63 (TN63) was quite explicit that UK residents could not be taxed on this income.

However it is quite understandable that HMRC thought it should be taxable but as TN63 says for technical reason it could not be taxed. If they thought the income should be taxed it was thier duty to bring in legislation at the earliest opportunity to make it taxable, ie in 2003 and not 5 years later in 2008. After all it only took 3 months to close the Barclays loophole.

To continue to bully their "customers" that they were liable to pay tax when they already knew from TN63 that is was not due raises a few interesting issues.

Was it

1:- Nonfeasance, not carying out their duty.

2:- Demanding money with menances

3:- Conspirancy to pervert the course of justice (by delibrately denying us the chance to go to court under the pre 2008 legislation)

Comment

err

Originally posted by seadog View Post
                  Technical Note 63 (TN63) was quite explicit that UK residents could not be taxed on this income.

However it is quite understandable that HMRC thought it should be taxable but as TN63 says for technical reason it could not be taxed. If they thought the income should be taxed it was thier duty to bring in legislation at the earliest opportunity to make it taxable, ie in 2003 and not 5 years later in 2008. After all it only took 3 months to close the Barclays loophole.

To continue to bully their "customers" that they were liable to pay tax when they already knew from TN63 that is was not due raises a few interesting issues.

Was it

1:- Nonfeasance, not carying out their duty.

2:- Demanding money with menances

3:- Conspirancy to pervert the course of justice (by delibrately denying us the chance to go to court under the pre 2008 legislation)

4 - all 3 of the above?

Comment

The thing that gets on my t*ts is that I was working through my old files yesterday and found an SA statement from HMRC dated Aug 2009 showing my tax account was upto date, with nothing payable and a few pence actually owed to me. This was post S58 ruling and yet even then I had a statement from them that basically told me I was fine with nothing payable. Even at that stage, i.e. post S58 there was no reference to S58 or potential for additional monies owing.

So how does that reconcile with being told all along that it didnt work and I would owe?

IF what Gauke says is true and HMRC have always stated it doesnt work then surely monies would have been due and that statement should have SHOWED ALL MONIES HMRC THOUGHT WERE UNDER CHALLENGE!!!!! IT DOESNT BECAUSE THEY WERENT DUE, ITS QUITE SIMPLE.

Comment

If that is the case

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

From another MP:

Then why the F were they saying that they would repeal it if they got into power!
                      and why did they let the 4 years play out in the courts.
                      I cannot believe the amount of tulip that spills out of his compulsive lying gob!

Comment

Working...
                      X