• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Ah! Thanks. Once again showing that the thread is moving away from it's purpose, as it's not a S58 issue. And it explains something I didn't understand about why there was any point in settling. If we were offered that, it would make no sense, but I see there's a threat of penalties.

Comment

Interesting snippet from that link.....

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Enquiries for different arrangements

If you receive an enquiry notice relating to a different arrangement you've used after the tax year ending 5 April 2011 then you can ask HMRC to discuss paying the tax to resolve these years too. HMRC may not be able to settle on the same basis as the earlier years but this will depend on how you used the arrangements and the law in place at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob79 View Post
        Also be aware that a FoI request or frivolous requests for data can be rejected for a myriad of reasons....
        Let's just get this straight. An FOI request is not frivolous.
        Everyone is allowed to see the data (within reason) that HMRC or any other organisation hold on them.

The fact that 45,000 people would be making the same request is neither here nor there.

My FOI request was satisfied, but even if it hadn't, at least I would be reassured HMRC took the time and trouble to deal with it - that's my reading between the lines wink.
        Last edited by SantaClaus; 28 July 2014, 15:30.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          Let's just get this straight. An FOI request is not frivolous.
          Everyone is allowed to see the data (within reason) that HMRC or any other organisation hold on them.

The fact that 45,000 people would be making the same request is neither here nor there.

My FOI request was satisfied, but even if it hadn't, at least I would be reassured HMRC took the time and trouble to deal with it - that's my reading between the lines wink.
          I think if you read my post I said that a FoI request OR a frivolous request can be denied for a number of reasons. I'm not trying to suggest that a FoI request IS frivolous.

Certainly, if the same request is received from a significant number of people, then it can be refused if it is felt to be a politically motivated issue or a deliberate campaign to disrupt the mechanism of Government.

By all means exercise your democratic rights, I just feel that the energy required would be put to better use in lobbying a local MP, getting into every press source you could, perhaps forming and being part of a support group, etc.

Extract from the Freedom of Information Act - reasons to refuse a request:

Part II Exempt information

21. Information accessible to applicant by other means..

22. Information intended for future publication..

23. Information supplied by, or relating to, bodies dealing with security matters..

24. National security..

25. Certificates under ss. 23 and 24: supplementary provisions..

26. Defence..

27. International relations..

28. Relations within the United Kingdom..

29. The economy..

30. Investigations and proceedings conducted by public authorities..

31. Law enforcement..

32. Court records, etc..

33. Audit functions..

34. Parliamentary privilege..

35. Formulation of government policy, etc..

36. Prejudice to effective conduct of public affairs..

37. Communications with Her Majesty, etc. and honours..

38. Health and safety..

39. Environmental information..

40. Personal information..

41. Information provided in confidence..

42. Legal professional privilege..

43. Commercial interests..

44. Prohibitions on disclosure.

Comment

Closure Notice

So it seems some people who have been on a loan arrangement have been invited to pay up by next January? have you considered asking for a closure notice before then? i/e asking HRMC to put their money where their mouth is, and state why they think you owe tax, how much, and on what grounds - instead of letting them drag things out so that they will eventually get a chance to change the legislation...?

Comment

You won't get a closure notice unless you are under enquiry. If its a straight discovery assessment then a different process applies (s54 TMA 1970)

Comment

I think if you read my post I said that a FoI request OR a frivolous request can be denied for a number of reasons. I'm not trying to suggest that a FoI request IS frivolous.
                Freedom of Information Act is totally different to Data Protection Act.

There's much less scope for public bodies to refuse a request for personal information under the DPA.

Comment

Certainly, if the same request is received from a significant number of people, then it can be refused if it is felt to be a politically motivated issue or a deliberate campaign to disrupt the mechanism of Government.

By all means exercise your democratic rights, I just feel that the energy required would be put to better use in lobbying a local MP, getting into every press source you could, perhaps forming and being part of a support group, etc. .......
                  Where have you been the past few years?
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    Where have you been the past few years?
                    Mine refused (twice) to meet me....

Comment

Just saying...

Originally posted by dezze View Post
                      Mine refused (twice) to meet me....
                      Thats the sort of thing Twitter loves to see.

Comment

Working...
                      X