• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Fascinating is not really the right word for those of us facing bankruptcy. I know what you mean.

It increases the chances of some nutter going postal.
    Hi Brillo, yes I think you did know what I meant. Not fascinating to watch families lose everything, I meant purely the suing and counter suing legal battles to come, particulArly heavyweight celebs/business leaders. I think we would probably all be interested to see if there is a successful legal challenge against a scheme provider!

And yes I fully expect someone to go postal at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      And yes I fully expect someone to go postal at some point.
      At least when it happened before they only took themselves out. I have made it very clear to my shrink I am homicidal and suicidal. Seeing him at 1pm today.

BTW hello to all the PCGers(Mal et all) who are reading this and having a good laugh on their closed forum

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        At least when it happened before they only took themselves out. I have made it very clear to my shrink I am homicidal and suicidal. Seeing him at 1pm today.

BTW hello to all the PCGers(Mal et all) who are reading this and having a good laugh on their closed forum
        Brillo I actually get it, if I wasnt so settled down with my family and was backed into a corner then it wouldnt be a pleasant experience for those that introduced me to the corner.

And yes Mods I am not condoning violence towards anyone, or making any threats.

But I can totally understand how someone might be driven to it, if you are about to lose everything left, you may have lost the wife and kids already due to this, then you might consider the remainder worth risking for a bit of revenge. I really dont think the powers at be realise the damage some of their decisions can cause.

Comment

Not sure if everyone saw this a few days ago:

Work programme 'incompatible' with EU human rights laws, says judge - Telegraph

The government recently lost a Judicial Review of Reilly v Department of Work & Pensions.

The judge said it was contrary to article 6 of Human Rights legislation for the govt. to enact retrospective legislation in order to win a court case.

In other word if this was applied to Section 58, the same precedent would mean s58 prevented taxpayers having their case heard under the law as it stood at the time.

Next time there is an opportunity to have a JR, APN or whatever, this precedent should be used and not article 1 as in the previous Huitson JR.
          Last edited by SantaClaus; 11 July 2014, 08:10.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

The government recently lost a Judicial Review of Reilly v Department of Work & Pensions.

The judge said it was contrary to article 6 of Human Rights legislation for the govt. to enact retrospective legislation in order to win a court case.

In other word if this was applied to Section 58, the same precedent would mean s58 prevented taxpayers having their case heard under the law as it stood at the time.

Next time there is an opportunity to have a JR, APN or whatever, this precedent should be used and not article 1 as in the previous Huitson JR.
            Any chance we can use that at the FTTT?

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

We were stitched up big time.

Can we not fund a JR with out collective resources or am I way off base?

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                We were stitched up big time.

Can we not fund a JR with out collective resources or am I way off base?
                I dont think we were stitched up, I think our JR went at it the wrong way completely!! We should have been going at it from the perspective of TN63 etc. rather than human rights angle!!

Comment

Human Rights

The convention has a specific concession to national Governments in the area of taxation called the "wide margin of appreciation".

Basically this means that Governments can go a lot further in infringing the rights of taxpayers before the convention is engaged. For example, retrospection is not universally prohibited.

No-one has ever won a tax case against the UK Goverment on the grounds of human rights.

Obviously, the way things are going, there will probably come a time when the Government will push it too far.
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 11 July 2014, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    The convention has a specific concession to national Governments in the area of taxation called the "wide margin of appreciation".

Basically this means that Governments can go a lot further in infringing the rights of taxpayers before the convention is engaged. For example, retrospection is not universally prohibited.

No-one has ever won a tax case against the UK Goverment on the grounds of human rights.

Obviously, the way things are going, there will probably come a time when the Government will push it too far.
                    Does that mean our ECHR case is doomed to failure?

Comment

Originally posted by OneUnited View Post
                      Does that mean our ECHR case is doomed to failure?
                      It's a long shot. It will be a hurdle even getting the application accepted. Incidentally, it's 3 years since Montpelier applied!

The fact that our Supreme Court wouldn't even hear the case is bound to influence the Strasbourg judges.

Comment

Working...
                      X