• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
    If it's not specifically mentioned in the legislation how this will operate then I suggest we need formal clarification of this crucial point. We should not put any faith in a soundbite to the press. If we receive an APN and then try to quote this as an argument not to pay, it will have no impact whatsoever.

We've all worked in the corporate world, we've seen management by expediancy - Lin Homer was put on the spot and she made up an answer - it's not thought through and can be rescinded or 'clarified' at any point in the future.

Alternatively she'll move on/be fired/retired in the near future and her successor will just say it was a misunderstanding.
    This was not a soundbite to the press. It was in evidence to the Treasury Select Committee. Everything she said will be on the record in Hansard.

There is no way she will have made this up on the hoof.

Comment

What about gauke!

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      This was not a soundbite to the press. It was in evidence to the Treasury Select Committee. Everything she said will be on the record in Hansard.

Wasn't that pr1ck also on record when he spouted his 5h1te!

Comment

And it makes sense from a number of angles. They are likely unprepared and undermanned for this, and to rush into will have huge implications for their level or perceived (in)competence, they can iron out the issues on a lower number of cases, and all those other issues we have previously discussed like what happens when you cash in a CTD to pay for an APN? They've also got that cherished 80% success rate to defend, so there's no risk to that - if or until they get around to issuing them to cases that have not reached FTT. Given that we're going to have an election, the Government will likely want to avoid being seen as the party, ignoring the Lib Dems, that is stripping the public of their rights.

I wonder if this will also now delay our hearing. There's going to be a number of urgent challenges coming in, which will do nothing but clog up the system further. So ironically, rather than removing the bottleneck to them grabbing the money, they've made it worse, but the alternative was ridicule and spectacular failure.

According to Homer it hasn't even been decided if it will be applied to cases that haven't reached FTT. Part of me wished that they had enforced this, because the anger it would have generated would have been mighty. I suspect there has been a few heated exchanges between HMRC and the Government over this, and maybe HMRC won. So one thing we have in common perhaps is that everyone thinks Gauke is a

Omnishambles++

Afterthought - wasn't there a condition added in the Select Committee debate that the Government was to report on the success rate after 6 months? That might also explain why they don't want to be too quick off the mark.
        Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 10 July 2014, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
          And it makes sense from a number of angles. They are likely unprepared and undermanned for this, and to rush into will have huge implications for their level or perceived (in)competence, they can iron out the issues on a lower number of cases, and all those other issues we have previously discussed like what happens when you cash in a CTD to pay for an APN? They've also got that cherished 80% success rate to defend, so there's no risk to that - if or until they get around to issuing them to cases that have not reached FTT. Given that we're going to have an election, the Government will likely want to avoid being seen as the party, ignoring the Lib Dems, that is stripping the public of their rights.

I wonder if this will also now delay our hearing. There's going to be a number of urgent challenges coming in, which will do nothing but clog up the system further. So ironically, rather than removing the bottleneck to them grabbing the money, they've made it worse, but the alternative was ridicule and spectacular failure.

According to Homer it hasn't even been decided if it will be applied to cases that haven't reached FTT. Part of me wished that they had enforced this, because the anger it would have generated would have been mighty. I suspect there has been a few heated exchanges between HMRC and the Government over this, and maybe HMRC won. So one thing we have in common perhaps is that everyone thinks Gauke is a

Omnishambles++

Afterthought - wasn't there a condition added in the Select Committee debate that the Government was to report on the success rate after 6 months? That might also explain why they don't want to be too quick off the mark.
          Very good analysis, OnYourBikeGB
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post

Key element. They won't want to report anything other than success so will be very careful with the initial 6 months.

Comment

Oh my Lord

I have no idea exactly which Lords will attend the gig on 16.07. Wrote to UK parliament but got nought back. I've read they can delay some things but inconveniently not things relating to the public tax purse. All the same, they are probably all rich and may have met Messrs Caine, Beckham or Georgy Mike at some pop-stars & politicians all star event. According to the link below, there's 139 Peers on twitter. So I will fire up the account and send some more salvos. You never know.

https://twitter.com/ukhouseoflords/p...witter/members

Comment

[QUOTE=the great escape;1964373]I have no idea exactly which Lords will attend the gig on 16.07. Wrote to UK parliament but got nought back. I've read they can delay some things but inconveniently not things relating to the public tax purse. All the same, they are probably all rich and may have met Messrs Caine, Beckham or Georgy Mike at some pop-stars & politicians all star event. According to the link below, there's 139 Peers on twitter. So I will fire up the account and send some more salvos. You never know.

https://twitter.com/ukhouseoflords/p...witter/members[/QUOTE

Phase three tweets are a go!

Comment

Disagree - her track record is terrible, she's plagued with controversy. She's only been in the job a couple of years after flitting from agency to agency. I agree it's now on the record - whether she knows what she is talking about is another question entirely.

Comment

this is going to be fascinating to watch, the courts are going to buckle under the strain of not only people suing people, but also JR's against policy:

‘Tsunami’ of lawsuits after crackdown creates £5bn tax bill - FT.com
                    Last edited by smalldog; 10 July 2014, 21:31.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      this is going to be fascinating to watch, the courts are going to buckle under the strain of not only people suing people, but also JR's against policy:

‘Tsunami’ of lawsuits after crackdown creates £5bn tax bill - FT.com
                      Fascinating is not really the right word for those of us facing bankruptcy. I know what you mean.

It increases the chances of some nutter going postal.

Comment

Working...
                      X