• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    They will interpret it one way. Then retrospectively interpret it a different way.

I had a phone chat to someone at Tiger TV yesterday. NTRT arranged it. They are thinking about getting me in front of a camera. Hopefully they have better cases than me so I wont be used. But someone has to stand up.

I had to break off the phone call as I burst into tears talking about the affect it has had on my children.

I got asked how I feel towards HMRC. None of my reply will ever make it onto television.
    Wow. well good luck on that Brillo
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

heres is the transcript from the debate around affected schemes and the link to the parliament doc:

Duncan Hames (Chippenham) (LD): I note the point that the Minister is making, but will he further clarify for the Committee whether the powers that he seeks reach back to disputed tax liabilities relating to periods prior to the introduction of the DOTAS reporting?

Mr Gauke: No, they do not. This applies to arrangements where a DOTAS notification has been made—DOTAS was introduced in 2004—or those that fail to comply with the general anti-abuse rule, which we introduced last year. It essentially goes back to the introduction of DOTAS. The structure of it means that it does not apply to any cases before that.

House of Commons Public Bill Committee : Finance Bill (17 June 2014)

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        heres is the transcript from the debate around affected schemes and the link to the parliament doc:

Duncan Hames (Chippenham) (LD): I note the point that the Minister is making, but will he further clarify for the Committee whether the powers that he seeks reach back to disputed tax liabilities relating to periods prior to the introduction of the DOTAS reporting?

Mr Gauke: No, they do not. This applies to arrangements where a DOTAS notification has been made—DOTAS was introduced in 2004—or those that fail to comply with the general anti-abuse rule, which we introduced last year. It essentially goes back to the introduction of DOTAS. The structure of it means that it does not apply to any cases before that.

I always suspected that Gauke was at heart a 'good egg' and had our interests at heart.............

Comment

We'd still get caught by follower notices, surely?
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I thought all the consultation and discussion was finished with, so why these notification today:

Finance Bill (18th June 2014)

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
              I thought all the consultation and discussion was finished with, so why these notification today:

R.I.P DOTAS
              they have killed off disclosure, there will always be loop holes that will be exploited.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                They will interpret it one way. Then retrospectively interpret it a different way.

I had a phone chat to someone at Tiger TV yesterday. NTRT arranged it. They are thinking about getting me in front of a camera. Hopefully they have better cases than me so I wont be used. But someone has to stand up.

I had to break off the phone call as I burst into tears talking about the affect it has had on my children.

I got asked how I feel towards HMRC. None of my reply will ever make it onto television.
                Well done BP you are a legend there is very few who have the balls to do this (including myself).

Come on guys lets give BP a big

You are not alone I shed tears when telling my son.

Comment

Hmm, except MontP were issued a DOTAS number, and I know it was on 2 of my returns. Still, at the very least it limits what I have to pay. Stupid thing was I wasn't aware that I didn't have to enter it. First year, MontP put it on, second year I reminded them to. Not very smart looking back at it, I was ensuring that everything was legal, clear and above board.

Comment

DOTAS on SA

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                    Hmm, except MontP were issued a DOTAS number, and I know it was on 2 of my returns. Still, at the very least it limits what I have to pay. Stupid thing was I wasn't aware that I didn't have to enter it. First year, MontP put it on, second year I reminded them to. Not very smart looking back at it, I was ensuring that everything was legal, clear and above board.
                    I remember NW at MTM emailing me saying I had to retrospectively add a DOTAS number to the previous year's SA form (after submission), then all subsequent ones - she said it's so its was all legal and above board - Just wish I had a time machine - sounds familiar

I only used MTM from 2004 - to March 2008. So will I get a APN? looking at my on-line statement from 2004-2008 HMRC say I owe 50k (plus interest etc etc)

Roll on the next phase - just ask what I can do to help!
                    Twitter I thought went VERY well - even if the FIRST result was not what we wanted

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                      That'll teach you being open, honest and transparent with HMRC.

I heard of one person who didn't declare any income from the scheme on their tax returns whatsoever.

And guess what?

Comment

Working...
                      X