• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    But I don't believe in doom and gloom, and that's certainly not the end of it.

www.dotas-scandal.org
    We have to be realistic. Today was not a good day. But with so much at stake we have to fight on. I thought it was all over at the end on 2012 when we lost in the supreme court - 18 months on we are still going.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      Don't fantasize too much...
      To be able to engage the ECHR, you first need to have been directly and effectively affected already - that is, you must have the APN in your hands already.
      At least that's how I understand it.

So,if anything,it's not the time yet.

But I don't believe in doom and gloom, and that's certainly not the end of it.

www.dotas-scandal.org
      That's exactly what I meant - once an APN has actually been issued, will that person stand any chance at all of getting heard at the ECHR then? That prospect would give me hope!

What other antidote to doom and gloom do you think that there is, ATM?

MishiMoo

Comment

Originally posted by MishiMoo View Post
        That's exactly what I meant - once an APN has actually been issued, will that person stand any chance at all of getting heard at the ECHR then? That prospect would give me hope!

What other antidote to doom and gloom do you think that there is, ATM?

MishiMoo
        Sorry if I misunderstood you.
        I don't have the answer to this question, but I would hope so.

www.dotas-scandal.org
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
          Anyone have any ideas how/when we can find out if pre 2004/no DOTAS are affected?
          Gauke said that pre-DOTAS are excluded from all of this. Doesnt mean he wont come after pre DOTAS in some other way of course.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            We have to be realistic. Today was not a good day. But with so much at stake we have to fight on. I thought it was all over at the end on 2012 when we lost in the supreme court - 18 months on we are still going.
            I thought it was a good day, tbh. It was always going through, but for the first time they have felt the heat. I think in the long term this will work to our advantage. The more they push to enforce this, the more heat that's going to be generated. From a S58 point of view, we've gone from 2,500 fighting to 65,000 thanks to this woeful piece of legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              Gauke said that pre-DOTAS are excluded from all of this. Doesnt mean he wont come after pre DOTAS in some other way of course.
              I did the scheme 2001-05. There was never a DOTAS reference number on my returns post 2004. Does this exclude me for 2004/05 and 2005/06 tax years or should I expect a demand?

[ Now been under tax investigation for a quarter of my entire life !!! ]

Comment

Is it 'law' now then? If not, what is the next stage to it becoming so?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
                  Is it 'law' now then? If not, what is the next stage to it becoming so?
                  Finance Bill timeline: http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...5/finance.html

www.dotas-scandal.org
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Thanks. Today's session mention APNs pre-Assent, so I wonder at what point in that chain they can be sent.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                      I thought it was a good day, tbh. It was always going through, but for the first time they have felt the heat. I think in the long term this will work to our advantage. The more they push to enforce this, the more heat that's going to be generated. From a S58 point of view, we've gone from 2,500 fighting to 65,000 thanks to this woeful piece of legislation.
                      A fair point. I've chased my MP and done some twittering - but there hasn't been enough of us.
                      When the brown envelopes start to hit doormats then it may be easier to rally more people to a banner to fight this legislation.

Comment

Working...
                      X