• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reckless View Post
    Is NTRT proposing any co-ordinated action on this or is the policy still to let others lead the campaigning whilst we provide evidence as necessary of HMRC's ineptitude and deceit regarding our DTA scheme experience?
    Hi Reckless

We had the toolkit on the latest news page of our website for writing to MPs regarding this issue.

All members should write to their MPs and if possible, follow up with a face to face meeting.

Whitehouse are coordinating various groups affected by APNs and there will no doubt be Judicial Reviews launched by wealthy individuals/groups, as there are many times more people caught up in this than just our members.

Hope this helps.

Santa
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
      Likewise, I emailed WH and didn't get a reply. I'll resend to Carl.

Also, on the Radio 5 Live this morning there was a discussion about the bank account seizure plans, but it veered off into the Pfizer merger and the R5 economics correspondent was pointing out that the UK is effectively becoming an offshore tax haven. No hypocrisy there, then.
      I'll make Whitehouse and the SG aware. Thanks.

Guys... please could you resend the email to admin at notoretrotax and I will look out for them.

I recently strengthened our spam filters as we were being sent emails with malicious attachments, so that could be the reason.

Thanks

Santa
      Last edited by SantaClaus; 9 May 2014, 09:18. Reason: Added something

Comment

Treasury Select committee report

Here's the full Treasury select committee report:
        http://www.publications.parliament.u.../1189/1189.pdf

Search for "accelerated" etc.
        There's quite a bit detail - and more importantly - a lot of criticism of HMRC's and Treasury's approaches.

In particular, read pages 76 - 85.
        Some of it is in "bold", but it's worth reading the whole section.
        Last edited by DeadDOTAS; 9 May 2014, 09:24.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          I dont really see how this relates to BN66, what we care about it the accelerated payment notice, not raiding bank accounts. We have only had some brief airtime on the daily mail article, our fight will get lost in the noise.
          The BBC article mentions the concerns regarding accelerated payments. As you say, this is the real issue for us.

........He said the committee also had "deep reservations" about changes to tax policy that would require upfront payment of any disputed tax associated with tax avoidance schemes.

"Retrospection should be considered only in wholly exceptional circumstances. The latest measure would have to be justified on those grounds," Mr Tyrie said.

"Retrospection puts policy on a slippery path to arbitrary taxation, discouraging investment and innovation and creating the scope for great unfairness."..............

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            For anyone who is still dithering about whether or not so see their MP before the May elections...

Taxman to raid joint accounts | Mail Online
            It is certainly stirring-up a veritable hornet's nest on the Daily Mail comments section, as might be expected. I think that there is a risk that the DOTAS proposals get lost in the wailing generated by this article, but perhaps it serves to raise the profile of what the Government is trying to do to the man or woman on the street, which can only be a good thing.

I am more interested to hear what the Treasury Committee has to say about the retrospective nature of the DOTAS proposals though - Osborne and Gauke receiving a kicking from one of their own (Tyrie) is much more like it.
            "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
              The BBC article mentions the concerns regarding accelerated payments. As you say, this is the real issue for us.

........He said the committee also had "deep reservations" about changes to tax policy that would require upfront payment of any disputed tax associated with tax avoidance schemes.

"Retrospection should be considered only in wholly exceptional circumstances. The latest measure would have to be justified on those grounds," Mr Tyrie said.

"Retrospection puts policy on a slippery path to arbitrary taxation, discouraging investment and innovation and creating the scope for great unfairness."..............
              Hi Reckless, appreciate it was mentioned but I think accelerated will be lost in the noise of raiding accounts IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                Hi Swede

Not sure why you didn't get a reply. Try sending an email to Carl at Whitehouse.

PM me if you get no joy.

Thanks

Santa
                Will do. Although will this be too late as their committee meeting was on 7th May? Do you know if these meetings are regular?

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                  Will do. Although will this be too late as their committee meeting was on 7th May? Do you know if these meetings are regular?
                  all can be followed here

Finance (No.2) Bill 2013-14 — UK Parliament
                  STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
                    Thanks Regron

Also I have just been informed by WH:

There are meetings of the Finance Bill Committee (not the Treasury Committee) all the way over the next two months. They were supposed to conclude by 17th June but that will likely be put back now owing to prorogation ahead of the Queen’s Speech. They haven’t come to the part about APNs yet, so yes, there is still time and it is still worth lobbying and seeing MPs about this.
                    Last edited by SantaClaus; 9 May 2014, 10:34.

Comment

Well India tried it

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                      Yet another example of Government hypocrisy.

BBC News - Pfizer cannot use UK as tax haven, Cable tells MPs

Apparently when you come to the UK to take advantage of the 'benign' tax regime, its perfectly fine. Then you just get the friendly offshore Government to deny that its about tax avoidance at all, its just one of those things that you save billions of dollars that should have gone into the US Treasury. You can even get the UK Government to give you a slap on the back, and maybe even a slap-up meal. WG has nothing on this crowd, he shouldn't be fighting them, he should be getting advice on how to do the really big deals. I wonder what Vince and co would have to say if the US were to slap on a few retrospective taxes of their own.
                      Well we know what they did When India did on Vodaphone, the cronny Osborne with his offshore trust went over and said no no you can't do that it'll hurt business.

Comment

Working...
                      X