• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 1,000,000pct more sympathy for guerilla fighters the world over. You can't reason with tyrants.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
      Interesting. As you say, many of the 65k people are in a concentrated area. If a large number voted UKIP it might mean something due to that concentration.

Someone previously asked where UKIP stood on retro, do we know? If it's the right side we could do both a) ask everyone to vote UKIP, b) inform UKIP of the votes available to allow them to market on this point.

If we could identify the most concentrated area, and it was suitable in other regards, that might be the best one for Farage himself to stand in.

Anything to f*&k Cameron.

Any other ideas to throw around?
      So long as they don’t oppose it in the same way the conservatives did, i.e. completely opposed to it until in power...

Comment

I have 1,000,000pct more sympathy for guerilla fighters the world over. You can't reason with tyrants.

A very unwise things to say - unless you have lived in a country were people experience real terror (limbs being amputated, mothers, girls and boys being raped, etc etc ) from those in charge and from the rebels im quite sure you'd sing a different tune.

Comment

Interesting. As you say, many of the 65k people are in a concentrated area. If a large number voted UKIP it might mean something due to that concentration.

Someone previously asked where UKIP stood on retro, do we know? If it's the right side we could do both a) ask everyone to vote UKIP, b) inform UKIP of the votes available to allow them to market on this point.

If we could identify the most concentrated area, and it was suitable in other regards, that might be the best one for Farage himself to stand in.

Anything to f*&k Cameron.

Any other ideas to throw around?
          The fact that UKIP wants us out of Europe and our only hope of justice might be the ECHR, doesn't sit well with me.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            The fact that UKIP wants us out of Europe and our only hope of justice might be the ECHR, doesn't sit well with me.
            Same here, a very big worry that they would remove our last chance of defence!

Comment

Originally posted by shookshiver View Post
              A very unwise things to say - unless you have lived in a country were people experience real terror (limbs being amputated, mothers, girls and boys being raped, etc etc ) from those in charge and from the rebels im quite sure you'd sing a different tune.
              I can see how when those in power **** you, and there is zero chance of justice through supposedly normal means, that people realise they can either waste their time fighting a rigged battle they'll eventually lose, or, actually take action that will have an effect. There simply aren't any more options.

Today we hail the Arab spring and Nelson Mandela. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness are apparently respectable politicians, etc. These people only got where they are by taking action. If they had stuck to the negotiating table, with no threat, we can all agree they would have achieved precisely nothing. (Whether their cause be just or not.)

We can disagree with some or all of their means of action, but if their objective is to achieve anything, they had to do something.

I'm not supporting dictators in power (that's what we already have) or empire-building warlords. That wasn't remotely implied in my post.

I stand by what I said 100pct.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
                Same here, a very big worry that they would remove our last chance of defence!
                This did cross my mind, but that's the trap. The current government will win, using legal or illegal means. What is written in law, in the UK or Europe is irrelevant. They've proved that already.

Do they have the power to change their mind? Yes, of course.
                What is going to change their mind? Some form of political of personal damage from this. Nothing else.

Our vain hope of a legal resolution is a very convenient device for them to keep us in check.

Back to UKIP... we'd be out of Europe indeed, but what is their stance on retro tax themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by handyandy View Post
                  The downside is that he won't find himself working for 'banks in the city' fir quite a long time
                  I have been in the city 27.5 years now and sick of it. My wife is already up in Wales. Rather than work and pay a penny to HMRC I intend to quit my job and go bankrupt. I am effectively divorced for the second time over this issue. Its just a matter of getting the paperwork done now. As in most cases my wife will get the house anyway - she would get the money too but there is none.

Maybe HMRC will accept so much a month over a few years - but it would have to be a very limited time. Actually - silly idea - I would rather they did not get a penny.

Comment

This did cross my mind, but that's the trap. The current government will win, using legal or illegal means. What is written in law, in the UK or Europe is irrelevant. They've proved that already.

Do they have the power to change their mind? Yes, of course.
                    What is going to change their mind? Some form of political of personal damage from this. Nothing else.

Our vain hope of a legal resolution is a very convenient device for them to keep us in check.

Back to UKIP... we'd be out of Europe indeed, but what is their stance on retro tax themselves?

Regarding UKIP, people say all sorts of things to get into power. Just look at Gauke and his anti retrospection rhetoric before he was elected.

Comment

Yes but it’s very difficult if not impossible for them to maintain their position with a legal ruling against them (for instance retro would have been impossible had there been a prior ruling in our favour) and they have far less influence over European courts.

Comment

Working...
                      X