• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    After reading that article no-one in their right mind would go near that TV program... So BP will be first in the queue.....
    Well it will need something to spice it up because it's hard to imagine anything more dull than a documentary about the work of HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Well it will need something to spice it up because it's hard to imagine anything more dull than a documentary about the work of HMRC.
      Well perhaps Ruth would like to glorify traffic wardens once she's done with HMRC??

Comment

More shocked than ever

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        Hi Nick, the amount would be excluding interest and its unclear how they would treat hardship cases. The paper mentions time to pay etc but whether they would enforce if it led to bankruptcy is not clear. But essentially yes they would come looking for any monies earnt through the scheme from 2004, and you would have 90 days to pay, or come to a TTP agreement.
        Well after they lied and bribed there way to get Section58 installed as law, who would put anything past them!!?! But it's incredible that demands are essentially immediately (or in 90days) due despite it being contested. Who are these people?! And, more importantly, who are the people that consider what powers they should and should not get? Our MPs have surely got to amend this draconian power out of existence.
        Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

"The broadcaster has been given unprecedented access to HM Revenue and Customs for Meet The Taxman..."

...whereas the Public Accounts Committee can never get so much as a foot inside the door. It all seems a bit fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            IS the programme paid for by HMRC? Otherwise who in their right mind would make a biased programme about the taxman, surely it would give a balanced view?
            Last edited by smalldog; 18 March 2014, 16:10.

Comment

HMRC Programme

I presume that if by any very remote chance Mr B. was to feature on the programme, his face would have to be pixelated!

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
                I presume that if by any very remote chance Mr B. was to feature on the programme, his face would have to be pixelated!
                I would imagine anyone who works in the compliance office would have to be pixelated, there are a lot of very unhappy people out there.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  I would imagine anyone who works in the compliance office would have to be pixelated, there are a lot of very unhappy people out there.
                  I really do see this kicking off big time.

Comment

Thanks for allowing this up, I did email [email protected] in advance and was told that it would be ok.

Originally posted by RNewton View Post
                    Are you faced with a retrospective tax bill?

Award-winning programme-maker, Tiger Aspect, is producing an observational documentary series on tax for Channel 4 and we would like to speak to anyone with an ongoing tax problem.

Filmed over the course of 2014 the series of three programmes will follow tax payers as they deal with a broad range of tax issues.
                    The series will also film with HMRC to see how they are trying to close the tax gap and what their greater targets mean for tax payers.

Retrospective is an important issue we will be covering and we're looking to speak with people who have been impacted.

Please contact Ruth Newton on [email protected] or 0208 222 4891 for more information.

All information is off the record at this stage and doesn’t oblige you to take part in the series.

Mod Note: I will allow this through, but please show courtesy in future and ask Admin - there will be NO PM privileges until this is done.

Comment

Originally posted by RNewton View Post
                      Are you faced with a retrospective tax bill?

Award-winning programme-maker, Tiger Aspect, is producing an observational documentary series on tax for Channel 4 and we would like to speak to anyone with an ongoing tax problem.

Filmed over the course of 2014 the series of three programmes will follow tax payers as they deal with a broad range of tax issues.
                      The series will also film with HMRC to see how they are trying to close the tax gap and what their greater targets mean for tax payers.

Retrospective is an important issue we will be covering and we're looking to speak with people who have been impacted.

Please contact Ruth Newton on [email protected] or 0208 222 4891 for more information.

All information is off the record at this stage and doesn’t oblige you to take part in the series.

Mod Note: I will allow this through, but please show courtesy in future and ask Admin - there will be NO PM privileges until this is done.
                      Given The Independent state that you’ll be portraying HMRC as crime-busting heroes I doubt there will be any fair balance and you'll blindly screen a one sided opinion without any care for the truth.

I doubt you’ll find much help here as most people have been on the receiving end of HMRC’s bullying for years and as a result have suffered more than just financial loss. In situations such as ours I doubt you’ll screen the dirty tactics or the human impact, instead you’ll spin it to fit your pre-determined opinion.

Care to prove me wrong?

Comment

Working...
                      X