• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great back off

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Former clients of PwC, affected by S58, had a hearing at the First Tier Tax tribunal yesterday. HMRC had moved to strike out their appeal and refuse the postponement of payment of tax.

At the hearing, HMRC backed off. They withdrew their objection to postponement and confined the strike-out to just one aspect of the appeal (a point of EU law), agreeing that the rest should be heard at a full hearing. The judge will hand down a decision on the EU law point in due course.

This is very good news for the taxpayers concerned, who get to fight another day, and also for the rest of us since we're all in this together.
    What exactly does 'strike out their appeal' mean? They wanted to ask the court NOT to let PwC appeal or something?

Comment

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
      What exactly does 'strike out their appeal' mean? They wanted to ask the court NOT to let PwC appeal or something?
      Exactly that. They were trying to prevent them from even having their case heard.

Comment

Exactly that. They were trying to prevent them from even having their case heard.
        That's positive, you would only want that if you were a bit unsure and the outcome was uncertain, or worse you knew you were bound to lose!

Comment

On what grounds? That we'd been "...refused by the SC so what's the point, M'lud". So why go to trial - expose yourself before someone else does? What a croc this is. It's unbelievable that we're dealing with a supposed respected govt dept.

Comment

My MP has confirmed that he cannot sign the EDM as he holds a shadow secretary position. I've asked Whitehouse to confirm if this excludes him as I thought only government ministers were excluded.

He also stated that when he spoke with Gauke in August, Gauke confirmed that he was speaking "directly to the representative group rather than to individuals and their MPs'.

Can anyone confirm if NTRT/Whitehouse have had direct contact with Gauke?

Comment

First Tier Tax tribunal

Former clients of PwC, affected by S58, had a hearing at the First Tier Tax tribunal yesterday. HMRC had moved to strike out their appeal and refuse the postponement of payment of tax.

At the hearing, HMRC backed off. They withdrew their objection to postponement and confined the strike-out to just one aspect of the appeal (a point of EU law), agreeing that the rest should be heard at a full hearing. The judge will hand down a decision on the EU law point in due course.

This is very good news for the taxpayers concerned, who get to fight another day, and also for the rest of us since we're all in this together.
              do we think we will have our hearing soon then? I guess the earlier posts about this not being resolved for many years assumes that the appeals will cause the delays?

Comment

NTRT Update

Great Update NTRT team!!! If I was HMRC I would be starting the get a tad concerned!!!!!

This whole thing stinks, and reckon were gonna blow a how in something potentially pretty damaging, great work! Think its time for some ministers to seriously consider which side of the fence they are on...

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  Great Update NTRT team!!! If I was HMRC I would be starting the get a tad concerned!!!!!

This whole thing stinks, and reckon were gonna blow a how in something potentially pretty damaging, great work! Think its time for some ministers to seriously consider which side of the fence they are on...
                  Just seen the update from NTRT. Thanks guys. Maybe just maybe the tide is starting to turn?

I still can't see this being resolved for years though....

Have a great weekend everyone!

NGU.

Comment

Got a not so favourable reply to the recent correspondence from my MP today.

Felt really down until I read the newsletter waiting in my Inbox. Thanks NTRT for picking my chins up.

Comment

Great job NTRT. I haven't been about for a while as I haven't been too well. Now back on the mend, and that email was as good a tonic as anything I've had in quite a while. Keep fighting the fight, it is deeply appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X