• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
    I don't know. It seems more personal than this. No retro on K2, which is just as or more aggressive, unfair on other tax payers, willfully flauting the law, morrally repugant, wholly artificial, comes at the same time of austerity and is even more in the public eye.
    doesnt mean they wont legislate, there is time!

Comment

Today Jeremy Forrest. got 5.5 years for the "abduction" of the schoolgirl, and people on FB are comparing that to the 15months that Stuart Hall got. I know Hall got a lesser sentence because he had to be sentenced on the law as it was when he committed the offences, not on the basis of the law now

This is Further, the European Convention on Human Rights Art 7(1) prohibits the imposition of a heavier penalty than one “applicable” at the time of the offence. Fairness dictates that one should know, at the time of the offence, what the maximum sentence is. That is unarguable.

Is this Human Rights Act the same for us?

Comment

Originally posted by doublebubble View Post
        Today Jeremy Forrest. got 5.5 years for the "abduction" of the schoolgirl, and people on FB are comparing that to the 15months that Stuart Hall got. I know Hall got a lesser sentence because he had to be sentenced on the law as it was when he committed the offences, not on the basis of the law now

This is Further, the European Convention on Human Rights Art 7(1) prohibits the imposition of a heavier penalty than one “applicable” at the time of the offence. Fairness dictates that one should know, at the time of the offence, what the maximum sentence is. That is unarguable.

Is this Human Rights Act the same for us?
        Maybe a good point, given that folks (i.e. Gauke) are now referring to S58(4) 2008 as retrospection - i.e. admitting it was a change in the law as opposed to a 'clarification'.

Comment

Time to Reflect

As usual DR speaks lots of sense.

I was pretty hacked off yesterday with the whole Whitehall machinations, and how Steve Baker just withdrew (apparently) without a proper fight with Gauke.

NTRT is the only game in town for us, and so we must trust them & back their judgement. The alternative is to face the abyss.

The fat lady hasn't even begun to clear her throat yet.

Keep the faith people!

To insolvency & beyond!!
          Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

All of the folks behind NTRT are victims of S58. If the campaign is unsuccessful then we're just as screwed as you.

We don't get paid for this. Our only incentive is to save our livelihoods and those of fellow victims.

Have a good weekend one and all.

DR

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              Talking about timing, you have to wonder whether it's pure coincidence that the press got hold of this yesterday.

Nigel Farage admits setting up offshore trust fund - Telegraph

"However, Mr Farage insisted that he never used the [Isle of Man] scheme, claiming that he was "not rich enough" to need the offshore fund."
              This made front page news on at least one of the main newspapers today. Yet when you read the detail it's not actually much of a bloomin story at all. Typical crap coming from the media instead of focusing on real issue.

Comment

We don't get paid for this. Our only incentive is to save our livelihoods and those of fellow victims.
                And all of us are very grateful for the efforts and expertise that you all apply - if (personally) a little jealous that you're getting to look under the bonnet of Parliament.

Whatever happens, your determination and application are very, very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Guttersnipe View Post
                  And all of us are very grateful for the efforts and expertise that you all apply - if (personally) a little jealous that you're getting to look under the bonnet of Parliament.

Whatever happens, your determination and application are very, very much appreciated.
                  here here! I am always grateful for the efforts of NTRT without whom I dont know where we'd be!

Comment

Absolutely guys.

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    here here! I am always grateful for the efforts of NTRT without whom I dont know where we'd be!
                    Couldn't agree more - thank you from me and the family.

Comment

All of the folks behind NTRT are victims of S58. If the campaign is unsuccessful then we're just as screwed as you.

Have a good weekend one and all.

DR
                      DR - the work that all of you guys have done is phenomenal and I personally cannot thank you enough. If it was'nt for the NTRT campaign we would have had zero chance at all with this. At least we now still have some chance.

Like most people on here I do not understand what is going on and its all to easy to get depressed when things do not go the way we would like it too. However, the one thing I am learning is that Government and Politics is just one big game and sometimes you have to play along with that game to get a result.

I cannot afford to pay what Hector thinks I owe and I’m in it till the end - bankruptcy and all.

Further donation will be made later.

Keep up the good work !!!

Basher.

Comment

Working...
                      X