• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
    I sent an email to Gauke on Monday - no reply. Then my wife sent an email today explaining the situation from a spouse perspective and she has had a reply from David Gauke's office asking for our address. will see what happens next
    Interestingly same thing happened to me.

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    HMRC will be checking every post, so be careful what you say.
    You know me. I never saying anything HMRC, admin or cojak could object to......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Interestingly same thing happened to me.

You know me. I never saying anything HMRC, admin or cojak could object to......
      maybe Gauke is just checking these are real individuals spouses/relatives

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        maybe Gauke is just checking these are real individuals spouses/relatives
        You mean we might make up emails! I had not thought of that. Could we send them today and claim under retrospection they were sent on Monday?

Anyone any idea how we can follow progress of the discussion tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          HMRC will be checking every post, so be careful what you say.
          Still can't quite believe that HMRC reads this forum. It's surely an abuse of their often-lamented lack of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            You mean we might make up emails! I had not thought of that. Could we send them today and claim under retrospection they were sent on Monday?

Anyone any idea how we can follow progress of the discussion tomorrow?
            Hi bp, assume you're joking! Apparently were all sitting on our yachts in Monaco with this cash sloshing around in our bilges, not real families etc with regular life challenges.

They don't believe we are who we say we are. Well hmrc know, but I bet treasury haven't don any analysis on say last years sa returns to see if we are all super rich.

Comment

Refunds/Repayments from HMRC

I requested a repayment from HMRC almost 2 months ago and having heard nothing so far I called them yesterday and spent the best part of 36 minutes on-hold with a few minutes here and there while someone who couldn't help me with my simple enquiry didn't help me with my simple enquiry. The end result is that I was given another number to call where apparently I could speak to my "compliance officer". Oh dear!

Despite my frustration (I may have been a bit grumpy with the man at the call centre) and having abandoned my desk at work for over half an hour already, I dutifully called the number he had given me... I got this: "Sorry, the number called is unavailable at present". What a joke!

Needless to say I didn't get much work done in the afternoon because I was boiling with fury.

Has anyone had any success getting overpayments repaid recently? A friend of mine got his a few months ago although he did have to make an extra call because of the "thing" on his file but it did come through.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
                Has anyone had any success getting overpayments repaid recently? A friend of mine got his a few months ago although he did have to make an extra call because of the "thing" on his file but it did come through.
                There doesn't seem to be any consistency. Some people have obtained repayments easily, others have had to kick up a fuss. Just keep persevering.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
                  I requested a repayment from HMRC almost 2 months ago and having heard nothing so far I called them yesterday and spent the best part of 36 minutes on-hold with a few minutes here and there while someone who couldn't help me with my simple enquiry didn't help me with my simple enquiry. The end result is that I was given another number to call where apparently I could speak to my "compliance officer". Oh dear!

Despite my frustration (I may have been a bit grumpy with the man at the call centre) and having abandoned my desk at work for over half an hour already, I dutifully called the number he had given me... I got this: "Sorry, the number called is unavailable at present". What a joke!

Needless to say I didn't get much work done in the afternoon because I was boiling with fury.

I was in the same position and they resolved it pretty quickly though this was a few months back too.

I think the number I called was 0161 931 9070.

Comment

Originally posted by BS81 View Post
                    I was in the same position and they resolved it pretty quickly though this was a few months back too.

I think the number I called was 0161 931 9070.
                    Thanks DR and thanks BS81. That number is the one you have to use when overseas and you can't use the non-geographical 0300 number. I tried to use it yesterday via Skype in the hope that they wouldn't think I was in the UK and cut me off or refuse to deal with me (someone told me they do that), but the lady rumbled me. She said she would deal with my call on this occasion but then decided she couldn't put me through to the self-assessment department. That was beginning of my trauma and it went down-hill from there.

I had thought the 0300 numbers were some kind of premium rate but have since read that they are the same rate as a geographical number, even from a mobile. I guess I'll find out if that is true when I get my bill. I'll call the 0161 today though to complain about the dodgy number they gave me yesterday as they answered it quickly without the annoying prerecorded waffle you get on the 0300.

On a separate note, fingers crossed for a positive result with NC1 today.

Comment

based on some of the earlier comments and SB's twitter not really expecting NC1 to go through today. However I Think there is probably a lot riding on the nature of the debate to see if there looks like we have any traction post committee. IT doesnt all rest of the finance bill.

Comment

Working...
                      X