• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting with MP

Hi there people

Apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum, or has been discussed before however I have arranged a meeting with my MP to disuss Section 58 and the fact I dont happen to have +£100k if forced to pay retrospective tax.

Are there specific things I should be steering him towards,
    what have other people discussed with their MPs

Basically any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by doublebubble View Post
      Hi there people

Apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum, or has been discussed before however I have arranged a meeting with my MP to disuss Section 58 and the fact I dont happen to have +£100k if forced to pay retrospective tax.

Hi DB. Good job on arranging the meeting. Lots have met with their MPs and now it is more important than ever to get to speak to them.

Have you joined NTRT (No To Retrospective Taxation | Campaign Against Retrospective Tax Legislation) ? There is plenty on there, including info on what to talk to your MP about.
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by doublebubble View Post
        Hi there people

First things first: you need to join NTRT here: No To Retrospective Taxation | Campaign Against Retrospective Tax Legislation

This is the campaign that is fighting for us.

They have a number of briefing packs to use when attending your meeting.

There is a huge amount of information on the forum, possibly getting too long to surf through and pick out what you need.

If your meeting is only 15 minutes long then you really need something very brief, I put together a brief set of notes to use with my MP which have now been used with 2 other MPs to positive affect.

Drop me a PM and I'll send them onto you if you like.

Comment

Letter from Gauke via PM's office

As many of you are aware, the PM is my local MP and I met him recently to put forward our case. He promised to write to Gauke about arranging a meeting with NTRT. I received a 4 page letter signed by Gauke with the PM's compliments slip on. The letter looks like a new standard template written by an HMRC official desperate to save his a*se. Just re-affirms that Gauke is HMRC's puppet now. Clever letter full of FUD , glossing over the real concerns. In it, the only reference to a meeting was that "the campaign group have been offered a meeting with HMRC to discuss the scheme, but I am unaware whether the offer has been accepted".

Have forwarded to Whitehouse/NTRT and await their instructions, as I'm happy to keep lobbying the PM both in writing and in person.

Comment

thanks for the advice and links. I'll post an update once Ive seen him

Comment

Attention all

If your MP is on the Finance Bill Committee, and you haven't already done so, please contact us asap - info @ notoretrotax.org.uk

If you are unsure about your MP, enter your postcode here:
              Look up your MP

If they are listed below then get in touch immediately.

Many thanks,
              DR

Jonathan Ashworth; Steve Baker; John Cryer; Stephen Doughty; James
              Duddridge; Chris Evans; Mr David Gauke; Sheila Gilmore; Ben Gummer;
              Greg Hands; Cathy Jamieson; Sajid Javid; Mr Marcus Jones; Kwasi
              Kwarteng; Chris Leslie; Andy McDonald; Catherine McKinnell; Ian
              Mearns; Mark Menzies; Nigel Mills; David Mowat; Sheryll Murray; Pamela
              Nash; Mr Brooks Newmark; Fiona O’Donnell; Dr Matthew Offord; Teresa
              Pearce; John Pugh; Yasmin Qureshi; Jim Shannon; Andrew Stephenson;
              Rory Stewart; Mr Michael Thornton; Paul Uppal; Stephen Williams.
              Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 14 May 2013, 08:08.

Comment

lobbying Finance Bill Committee members?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                If your MP is on the Finance Bill Committee, and you haven't already done so, please contact us asap - info @ notoretotax.org.uk

If you are unsure about your MP, enter your postcode here:
                Look up your MP

If they are listed below then get in touch immediately.

Many thanks,
                DR

Jonathan Ashworth; Steve Baker; John Cryer; Stephen Doughty; James
                Duddridge; Chris Evans; Mr David Gauke; Sheila Gilmore; Ben Gummer;
                Greg Hands; Cathy Jamieson; Sajid Javid; Mr Marcus Jones; Kwasi
                Kwarteng; Chris Leslie; Andy McDonald; Catherine McKinnell; Ian
                Mearns; Mark Menzies; Nigel Mills; David Mowat; Sheryll Murray; Pamela
                Nash; Mr Brooks Newmark; Fiona O’Donnell; Dr Matthew Offord; Teresa
                Pearce; John Pugh; Yasmin Qureshi; Jim Shannon; Andrew Stephenson;
                Rory Stewart; Mr Michael Thornton; Paul Uppal; Stephen Williams.
                My MP isn't in the FB committee , but has been very supportive and I think would assist in lobbying any MPs he knows. just let me know and I can contact him.

Comment

Typo in email address above

It should have been:

info @ notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                    Hi DB. Good job on arranging the meeting. Lots have met with their MPs and now it is more important than ever to get to speak to them.

Have you joined NTRT (No To Retrospective Taxation | Campaign Against Retrospective Tax Legislation) ? There is plenty on there, including info on what to talk to your MP about.
                    Still nothing back from Mr Afriyie confirming dates for a face-2-face. The guy must be right in there solid with the blaggard Gauke.

Comment

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
                      Still nothing back from Mr Afriyie confirming dates for a face-2-face. The guy must be right in there solid with the blaggard Gauke.
                      If all else fails, and there's a few of you, you could just turn up mob handed at his surgery.

Comment

Working...
                      X