• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting confirmed with Mark Menzies for this Saturday

After a few months of silence I've managed to get another meeting with my MP.

Trying to get in touch with Whitehouse for briefing pack pointers but no such luck over email.

Is the email system still having problems?

Comment

Originally posted by normalbloke View Post
      Just had confirmation from the PM's office that I still have a 15 minute slot at the PM's constituency surgery tomorrow. Whitehouse and NTRT have given me a (fairly extensive) briefing pack, so I will attempt to highlight the main points that he can help with, especially concerning Gauke and his merry band not falling for the HMRC 'spin' any more and showing him the web of deceit and lies that have gone before.

Wish me luck!
      good look normalbloke!! Looking forward to hearing how this goes!!

Comment

Sword of Damocles ...

Hi

As a former contractor who is anxiously awaiting bankruptcy does anyone have any idea when the tribunal is likely to be heard and failing a miracle or act of God, when the final demands are likely to go out?

:-(

Comment

Good luck

Just had confirmation from the PM's office that I still have a 15 minute slot at the PM's constituency surgery tomorrow. Whitehouse and NTRT have given me a (fairly extensive) briefing pack, so I will attempt to highlight the main points that he can help with, especially concerning Gauke and his merry band not falling for the HMRC 'spin' any more and showing him the web of deceit and lies that have gone before.

Wish me luck!
          All the best for tomorrow NB, when you go in to open the batting for the NTRT team.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
            After a few months of silence I've managed to get another meeting with my MP.

Trying to get in touch with Whitehouse for briefing pack pointers but no such luck over email.

Is the email system still having problems?
            Hi Lucozade. Very sorry you are having problems.

Could you let me know via PM which way you tried to send a message?

Meanwhile, I have your email address and MP name, so will alert Whitehouse to contact you.

Cheers

Santa
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Wish me luck!
              Best of luck normalbloke!
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Normalbloke how did you get on???? come on spill the beans!!!!

Comment

Meeting with the PM...

I met him today and had a 20-25 minute discussion. I have sent a full and frank report to NTRT and Whitehouse so I'll give some highlights here.

- He had Gaukes/HMRC's latest letter in front of him and had been briefed on the JR which means at least we are reaching the highest levels.

- He defended the Gauke letter quite agressively using the JR results as his main weapon interfering with the retrospection - 'the courts have decided it was justified' etc etc. That gave me an opportunity to bring in the HMRC deviousness and lies leading up to it.

- Had sympathy with my view on the inaction and not getting our day in court at the time.

- Was surprisingly more aggressive than I thought from the outset, which I didn't really expect but didn't mind as I could counter a lot of it. And it means he's taking notice.

- He talked more than he listened... read into that what you will... tried a bit too hard to defend the Treasury I thought.

He did agree to write to Gauke and urge him to meet NTRT to discuss the latest letter and HMRC 'lies'.

What I would say is that if I can go face to face with the PM on this, then all you people who haven't yet met their MP because they are (justifiably) a bit nervous in meeting them, have nothing to lose or fear! Go for it. Our views have reached the top and we need more voices inside Westminster to back us up!

Comment

I met him today and had a 20-25 minute discussion. I have sent a full and frank report to NTRT and Whitehouse so I'll give some highlights here.

- He had Gaukes/HMRC's latest letter in front of him and had been briefed on the JR which means at least we are reaching the highest levels.

- He defended the Gauke letter quite agressively using the JR results as his main weapon interfering with the retrospection - 'the courts have decided it was justified' etc etc. That gave me an opportunity to bring in the HMRC deviousness and lies leading up to it.

- Had sympathy with my view on the inaction and not getting our day in court at the time.

- Was surprisingly more aggressive than I thought from the outset, which I didn't really expect but didn't mind as I could counter a lot of it. And it means he's taking notice.

- He talked more than he listened... read into that what you will... tried a bit too hard to defend the Treasury I thought.

He did agree to write to Gauke and urge him to meet NTRT to discuss the latest letter and HMRC 'lies'.

What I would say is that if I can go face to face with the PM on this, then all you people who haven't yet met their MP because they are (justifiably) a bit nervous in meeting them, have nothing to lose or fear! Go for it. Our views have reached the top and we need more voices inside Westminster to back us up!
                    Well done, NB! He was always going to back his man, and it sounds like you got our points across. The letter to Gauke is a result, one more crack in the wall. It's interesting that he was so well briefed. Somebody must have wanted to be sure he had their back. If that someone was Gauke and he's going to write to him and not just bat it away, then that's not a bad result at all.

Comment

Well done NB - good effort. My turn tomorrow morning with another Tory.

Comment

Working...
                      X