• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
    That’s exactly my point, if you know the tax liability alone is impossible to pay then the best you can hope to gain out of any deal with HMRC is bankruptcy, which sadly is the case for a large number of people/families….

As for tax tribunals, I agree entirely, however that’s dependant on a judgment which until made remains an unknown and I for one don’t see why HMRC should be allowed to put anyone in such a dangerous position when they acted within the law as it stood at the time – the fact that HMRC had to misrepresent the facts to ensure S58 became law makes the situation shocking on a scale I can’t even begin to articulate!

All in all a very dangerous precedent to set!!
    and all it takes is one suicide if they try to collect to blow this whole thing wide open and the tabloids would then have a field day, and the target wouldnt be us! and I dont obviously say that lightly but unfortunately the backs to the wall some people face its a real possibility IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      and all it takes is one suicide if they try to collect to blow this whole thing wide open and the tabloids would then have a field day, and the target wouldnt be us! and I dont obviously say that lightly but unfortunately the backs to the wall some people face its a real possibility IMHO
      Why that is a genius idea, hadn't thought of that. All we need is 1 willing volunteer - anyone?

Comment

There are a few things that should not be discussed on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          There are a few things that should not be discussed on this thread.
          Brillo, not sure I think we should shy away or cover up the potential tragic consequences associated with all of this should it go against us..

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I have seem the paperwork and I am sure it was tax rate percentages in various bands up to certain money levels.
            The deal was not that great really. No NI. No interest. Small reduction in IT. Considering at the time that no NI or IT and therefore no interest was due, a deal was not necessary. Personally, I would rather be one of the thousand or more who never received an enquiry notice.
            Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
            "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

State of play

Hi - I've been away from this site for quite some time, partly to avoid getting further depressed about the situation, partly because nothing much seemed to happen for a long time.

What's the current state of play with the ECHR? Is there any date in sight for our case?

So far HMRC have not chased me for back tax (yet) so I presume all's on hold still until the court route has been exhausted? I'm just wondering when I might start getting a knock on the door should things not go our way. I have a CTD which, I think, has been a waste of time - and if the date is far enough off, I am minded to take the money out of the CTD and put it against my mortgage and pay some bills which have unhelpfully popped up.

Thoughts/answers welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by phileds View Post
                Hi - I've been away from this site for quite some time, partly to avoid getting further depressed about the situation, partly because nothing much seemed to happen for a long time.

What's the current state of play with the ECHR? Is there any date in sight for our case?

Thoughts/answers welcome.
                If you are not a member of the No To Retro Tax campaign group, see signature, I suggest that you join. Progress, of which there has been much, is reported in monthly newsletters.
                Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
                  If you are not a member of the No To Retro Tax campaign group, see signature, I suggest that you join. Progress, of which there has been much, is reported in monthly newsletters.
                  Totally agree, NTRT deserves 100% support, has shown amazing results to date and issues monthly news letters that are informative and factual. There absolutely no excuse for anyone affected by section58 not to join and at the least be fully informed if not participate in the campaign itself

Comment

I'm down on my uppers, which is why I am thinking of cashing in my CTD - I can't afford to have the money in HMG's pocket anymore, and have a tax bill coming up. I certainly can't afford to spend £200 for membership of the NTRT.

Can anyone answer my questions?

Comment

Originally posted by phileds View Post
                      I'm down on my uppers, which is why I am thinking of cashing in my CTD - I can't afford to have the money in HMG's pocket anymore, and have a tax bill coming up. I certainly can't afford to spend £200 for membership of the NTRT.

Can anyone answer my questions?
                      Whilst I can sympathise with your situation I find it hard to believe that since the NTRT has started you would not have found a way to join.

We are all in this together and money is tight for a lot of us but we still find ways to donate to the cause.

Comment

Working...
                      X