• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
    I've pointed my MP at the notoretro website and was wondering what we should do if they ask to see some Member's only documents? Should we download the requested document(s) and email or do we tell them to join?

If they ask for them, my vote would be download and email. If they ask for them, my vote would be download and email.
    Just having them look at the web site and in particular the List of Key Documents in the 'About Section 58' TAB should be enough for them to take an interest, apart from that I'm with TC download and email.
    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

The guys have been working very hard today... New document in the members section of the NTRT website for some light weekend reading.

I009 - Proof that HMRC knew about the possibility of the scheme being implemented in 1993, yet took 14 years to act.

Enjoy!
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Great campaign all

All,
        Firstly great campaign - great people. Is isn't it a shame the people on this forum with their intelligence and hard work are not allow to flourish in our country. You can see from the work that has gone in... these people (you) are the people that ironically the country needs right now to get out of this mess - and we're being shafted! Keep up the fight.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but CN's have appeared for me this week. No doubt other will receive then if they havent already. Mine are now asking me to pay up by 18th May. The smugness of the letters is the bit that always makes me so angry.

I don't want this post to detract from the brilliant work people are doing, but wanted to to inform people that read this forum that they've decided to collect money asap.

Has there been a tribunal yet? I understood they were waiting for some "cases" to go through before enforcing payment. I'm trying to pull the money together now The amount for me is "small" compared to some people here, but I'm still going to hve to borrow from family to avoid getting into real trouble.

An email has going off to Montp too, I'll keep people posted

Comment

Originally posted by Freeboy View Post
          Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but CN's have appeared for me this week. No doubt other will receive then if they havent already. Mine are now asking me to pay up by 18th May. The smugness of the letters is the bit that always makes me so angry.

I don't want this post to detract from the brilliant work people are doing, but wanted to to inform people that read this forum that they've decided to collect money asap.
          Hi,

Most of us received CNs a couple of years ago, which Montpelier appealed.

Are these the first CNs you've received? Or have you had them before?

Have you forwarded them on to Montpelier to appeal?

Thanks
          DR

Comment

Target MPs

Just to remind everyone, below are the MPs sitting on the 2012 Budget Finance Bill Committee.

If you're MP is one of these, get writing to them.

Look up your MP here - WriteToThem

Harriett Baldwin, Stephen Barclay, Tom Blenkinsop, Mr Aidan Burley, Charlie Elphicke, Mark Garnier, Mr David Gauke, Sheila Gilmore, Mr Sam Gyimah, Fabian Hamilton, Greg Hands, Richard Harrington, Julie Hilling, Mr Mark Hoban, Cathy Jamieson, Simon Kirby, Ian Lavery, Iain McKenzie, Seema Malhotra, John Mann, Ian Mearns, Nigel Mills, Graeme Morrice, Grahame M. Morris, John Pugh, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Rachel Reeves, Miss Chloe Smith, Owen Smith, Ian Swales, Mr Robert Syms, Stephen Williams, Gavin Williamson and Sammy Wilson

Comment

A Suggestion

As many of us are getting replies, via our MPs, from DG and/or GOs saying that HMRC have been telling us that the scheme didn't work and pay up right from the beginning... However, as it is documented in our EXCELLENT website (well done guys) that these are all lies...

So my suggestion is to highlight this on the front page of http://notoretrotax.org.uk so MPs (and other officials) can get that information without doing much work - ie helping them... If we have to bombard them with many of the docs then they may switch off!

Just a thought!

Comment

I got my standard reply from DG via my MP. The funny thing was, I didn't actually raise anything about repeal or amendment. What I'd said in my letter was that HMRC were trying to enforce collection now, after they'd said they would wait to the end of the legal process, ie Europe. It was this I was objecting too. Still, he thanked me for bringing it to his attention etc. He obviously didn't have a gopher to cut and paste in something new. What an

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                  I got my standard reply from DG via my MP. The funny thing was, I didn't actually raise anything about repeal or amendment. What I'd said in my letter was that HMRC were trying to enforce collection now, after they'd said they would wait to the end of the legal process, ie Europe. It was this I was objecting too. Still, he thanked me for bringing it to his attention etc. He obviously didn't have a gopher to cut and paste in something new. What an
                  It is broadly the same letter that is being sent to everyone, including MPs, who has written. There are minor variations but they do not alter the main thrust of the message. It is rather disappointing because they are not actually thinking about the information that is being sent in.

However, the real travesty is the letters that are being sent from Mr Gauke to the individual MPs and are signed by Mr Gauke himself. It appears that this is a demonstration of civil servants preparing a lie and putting it before the minister to sign.

The civil servants in HMRC cannot be in any doubt as to the falseness of the claims they are making – they wrote the letters. That shows contempt, not just for us, but for the system of government and democracy that we have in the UK.

Doesn’t that deserve an enquiry itself?

Mr. Cameron, can you hear me?
                  There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
                    It is broadly the same letter that is being sent to everyone, including MPs, who has written. There are minor variations but they do not alter the main thrust of the message. It is rather disappointing because they are not actually thinking about the information that is being sent in.

However, the real travesty is the letters that are being sent from Mr Gauke to the individual MPs and are signed by Mr Gauke himself. It appears that this is a demonstration of civil servants preparing a lie and putting it before the minister to sign.

The civil servants in HMRC cannot be in any doubt as to the falseness of the claims they are making – they wrote the letters. That shows contempt, not just for us, but for the system of government and democracy that we have in the UK.

Doesn’t that deserve an enquiry itself?

Mr. Cameron, can you hear me?
                    Which is why I'm following up with a 'huh?, please answer my actual question' letter. It's the veneer of pretending to actually have read our letters is what makes me laugh. I didn't realise there were variations, I thought they were all the same. Were they wording something more carefully I wonder?

Comment

I got a reply from Gauke via my mp today. Same confused misleading standard letter. Will be writing back pointing out the inconsistencies. Not sure if I should just focus on the misleading statement on hmrc telling us scheme didn't work when they didn't, or point out that letter contradicts itself, ie tax scheme didn't work vs retrospective change needed (suggesting it did).

Comment

Working...
                      X