• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    I agree, this was a witch hunt, pure and simple. Somebody at HMRC was throwing their toys out the pram and basically being a vindictive little tulip.
    That's always been my opinion too, and he botched police raid on Montpelier only makes me more convinced it's the case.

Comment

SA302's

Hi all, IVe got my SA302's for all affected tax years and they dont seem to match my income from bank statements. Who is still at MP that I can contact? I dont suppose if HMRC got their figures wrong we can just strike off that tax year, it would just be retrospecitvely amended?

Comment

Doesn't add up

Hi all, IVe got my SA302's for all affected tax years and they dont seem to match my income from bank statements. Who is still at MP that I can contact? I dont suppose if HMRC got their figures wrong we can just strike off that tax year, it would just be retrospecitvely amended?
        When I look at the amounts each year that are in dispute on the HMRC SA web site they do not match what was claimed for by Monpellier on my tax returns. Is this because HMRC have included interest or have they just screwed up. Does any one else have a discrepancy?

Comment

Originally posted by St Jude View Post
          When I look at the amounts each year that are in dispute on the HMRC SA web site they do not match what was claimed for by Monpellier on my tax returns. Is this because HMRC have included interest or have they just screwed up. Does any one else have a discrepancy?
          me too, none of mine match, not my SA302,s bank statements or online tax year details.

Comment

me too, none of mine match, not my SA302,s bank statements or online tax year details.
            Is this something else we could use in DR's list of discrepancies?

Comment

Originally posted by St Jude View Post
              Is this something else we could use in DR's list of discrepancies?
              indeed, and if its not right then which one is and what happens!

Comment

Bbc 5 live

I got this tweet today:

"@bbc5live: Got a personal finance question or gripe you'd like @MartinSLewis and @Dominic_Laurie to address on Thursday? Tweet us your thoughts..."

So I tweeted:

"@bbc5live @martinslewis @dominic_laurie how about how to deal with retrospective taxation when you've operated within the law !"

I've had a personal message saying:

@GuyKilty: Hi I'm producing Thursday's show on 5 live. Could you give me a ring on 0161 335 6610 to discuss your story?"

What does everyone think?

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                  I got this tweet today:

"@bbc5live: Got a personal finance question or gripe you'd like @MartinSLewis and @Dominic_Laurie to address on Thursday? Tweet us your thoughts..."

So I tweeted:

"@bbc5live @martinslewis @dominic_laurie how about how to deal with retrospective taxation when you've operated within the law !"

I've had a personal message saying:

@GuyKilty: Hi I'm producing Thursday's show on 5 live. Could you give me a ring on 0161 335 6610 to discuss your story?"

What does everyone think?
                  I got to be honest. It's a very bad idea.

The mainstream media is not on our side. You only have to read the Daily Mail and Sunday Times to see there are "clamping down on tax avoiders" articles every week.

The BBC is even worse, for they are the government's mouthpiece. This journalist has an agenda dictated by the government and he needs a "bad tax avoider" type person to be interviewed. I think he is setting you (and us) up for a big fall here.

Edit: I suppose you could turn the tables, and once you're on air, go off on a tangent and talk about BBC journalists using personal service companies Interesting that Guy Kilty is a "freelance" journalist. http://topsy.com/twitter/guykilty
                  Last edited by SantaClaus; 11 September 2012, 18:35. Reason: more
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    I got to be honest. It's a very bad idea.

The mainstream media is not on our side. You only have to read the Daily Mail and Sunday Times to see there are "clamping down on tax avoiders" articles every week.

The BBC is even worse, for they are the government's mouthpiece. This journalist has an agenda dictated by the government and he needs a "bad tax avoider" type person to be interviewed. I think he is setting you (and us) up for a big fall here.

Edit: I suppose you could turn the tables, and once you're on air, go off on a tangent and talk about BBC journalists using personal service companies Interesting that Guy Kilty is a "freelance" journalist. Twitter profile for guykilty - Topsy
                    Hang on, SC. Do you believe we're in the right, or not? If so, then why be afraid of publicity? And who cares what the journo's say/think? If we can get the message out to the general public then surely that's a good thing.
                    Last edited by Morlock; 12 September 2012, 08:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
                      Hang on, SC. Do you believe we're in the right, or not? If so, then why be afraid of publicity? And who cares what the journo's say/think? If we can get the message out to the general public then surely that's a good thing.
                      Its all in the spin.

If you can get the message over that it is like driving at 25mph in a 30mph zone - then finding that the limit is retrospectively changed to 20mph - then great.

Or are we highly paid freeloaders not paying our fair share as HMRC maintain?

I was in the top levels of fathers4justice. Once you grab the tiger by the tail you can be in for a hell of a ride. I particularly remember the Fiona Bruce interview. Since then Matt O'Connor always gets the dirt of the interviewer beforehand (yes there is dirt of Fiona Bruce!).

If done right its brilliant. Wrong and we play into HMRC's hands.

Comment

Working...
                      X