• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never expeted the laymans support

The NTRT was getting some knocks in another forum... it's typical that the ill informed have an opinion on a subject they have relatively little knowledge of.. seems a case 'if I can't you shouldn't' in most cases.

Retrospective taxation campaign
    Last edited by moira under the stairs; 26 April 2012, 10:31.
    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
      The NTRT was getting some knocks in another forum... it's typical that the ill informed have an opinion on a subject they have relatively little knowledge of.. seems a case 'if I can't you shouldn't' in most cases.

Thing is there is a very wide, grey area of tax avoidance and where you stand in that grey area is very subjective, usually depending on circumstances (not morals as some would suggest). That is why we have the law to distinguish between avoidance and evasion and provides the clear demarkation... until you introduce retrospection !
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
        Thing is there is a very wide, grey area of tax avoidance and where you stand in that grey area is very subjective, usually depending on circumstances (not morals as some would suggest). That is why we have the law to distinguish between avoidance and evasion and provides the clear demarkation... until you introduce retrospection !
        Exactly, I don't expe'c't any sympathy or want any to be honest, I just want to be able to be judged on the law as it was, I don't expect any favors from anyone, to have someone change the rules in flight is wrong 'period'.

Yes our option of Tax Avoidance maybe construed as aggressive so what !! it was legal at the time.
        MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
          Agreed. I have shared my situation with a few people and, while there is initial disbelief that the Law can be changed to have a retrospective impact, as soon as I am asked how much I earn and how much tax I paid the whole thing tends to shift...

Usually, as soon as they realise that I am earning more than them, but paying less tax (as a %) then them, the mood swings towards "you should pay more tax then" and any concept of 'fair law' disappears...

We have to accept that most people have never been self employed, have never run their own companies, have never heard of IR35 and simply do not have a good enough understanding of these areas to feel like they can support us.

I think we need to continue on as we are, working hard to get the right people to understand, and accept that we will never have popular support.

Comment

Originally posted by GripRacing View Post
            Agreed. I have shared my situation with a few people and, while there is initial disbelief that the Law can be changed to have a retrospective impact, as soon as I am asked how much I earn and how much tax I paid the whole thing tends to shift...

Usually, as soon as they realise that I am earning more than them, but paying less tax (as a %) then them, the mood swings towards "you should pay more tax then" and any concept of 'fair law' disappears...

We have to accept that most people have never been self employed, have never run their own companies, have never heard of IR35 and simply do not have a good enough understanding of these areas to feel like they can support us.

I think we need to continue on as we are, working hard to get the right people to understand, and accept that we will never have popular support.
            Tax may be less, but when you consider your take home pay , that is with fees included, the difference begins to dwindle. As I have pointed out to others, on your payslip, do you know what amount goes into your bank account? Most people know precisely. When asked how much tax and NI do they pay? No one has a clue.

It's the take home pay that matters.

Comment

That's funny, 'cause Pistonheads seems to be one of our biggest visitors.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I bet a majority of people in this country support Capital Punishment but it doesn't mean it should be reinstated.

Come to think of it, there's probably a sizeable number who think tax avoidance should be a capital offence!

The fact that we are getting broad cross party support from MPs is what matters.

Comment

Hypocrite

Cameron vows not to mix with tax avoiders :: Contractor UK

“There’s always been a distinction between tax evasion and tax avoidance,” the PM said. “[But] there is a form of aggressive tax avoidance which I do think is wrong and people shouldn’t take part in.”

Unless members of family, inner circle or the cabinet that is .......
                  MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

2 become 3

Now there's something that needs a form of clarity........

We have:

1. TAX Avoidance
                    2. TAX Evasion
                    and now...... wait for it
                    3. Aggressive TAX Avoidance

come on any form of TAX Avoidance in layman's PAYE terms is aggressive.
                    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Now there's something that needs a form of non-retrospective clarity........

We have:

1. TAX Avoidance
                      2. TAX Evasion
                      and now...... wait for it
                      3. Aggressive TAX Avoidance

come on any form of TAX Avoidance in layman's PAYE terms is aggressive.
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X