• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    It isn't just a question of money.

We want as big an army as we can muster.

Also, there are a lot of people lurking here who are writing to their MPs but Whitehouse have no visibility of this or control over the content of letters.

I'm getting the sense that the £200 is an issue.

How would existing members feel if we reduced this?
    Personally I can't comprehend what a donation of £200 is when compared to the possibilty of clearing the debt. Even if you were only in it for a year, you'd be looking easily at 15-20k. Even the last 3 months of tax year would chalk up a 4-figure amount. If you really want to go alone - and one would ask 'In which direction?' - a decent lawyer will sting you at least £200 per hour. You are certainly getting more than an hour's worth of expertise being part of this campaign, I tell ya.

I did recruit one member, who's now joined and donated - top man. But the 3rd we both know has not yet responded. It seems that some may view the campaign fund raising as a con, a way to raise money for something else.

If your not a member and you're reading this, get thee with all haste to the parliament website and listen to the debate from Tuesday. That was real. Unless you can take HMRC to court for gross negligence on a budget of £200, join the NTRT hoard. Don't leave the job to someone else. In mass we could make the difference. If we overturn the law, you'll only feel guilty at the VE Day style celebrations afterwards.

I would say also DR that some may be genuinely unaware of the forum & campaign, as my colleague was until I fwded the 'email of enlightenment'. Some may have tired of the letters from Monty and chucked the latest in the bin. If it's covertly possible to get a mailing address for all scheme memebers, then a NTRT headed letter with a summary of who/what/where would be very refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
      Why can't Montp financially support this?
      Its a very good question!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Yes it is considering they would also benefit from this of course!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I've been told there cannot be any direct link between them and NTRT.

Comment

Troll Alert

It isn't just a question of money.

We want as big an army as we can muster.

Also, there are a lot of people lurking here who are writing to their MPs but Whitehouse have no visibility of this or control over the content of letters.

I'm getting the sense that the £200 is an issue.

How would existing members feel if we reduced this?
            Free admission leaves us open to trolls joining.

How about only those joining for free must be 'known'?
            Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Originally posted by wertert View Post
              I've been told there cannot be any direct link between them and NTRT.
              Any idea why not?

Comment

We now have a lot of members but there are many who haven't joined.

The question I keep asking myself is why?

Is it the minimum £200 which is putting people off? Or something else?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
                I only joined recently due to a combination of cash flow issues and having to shake off the apathy caused by all the recent disappointments (I still can't get over the fact that we lost the JR and the appeal, after what I heard in court in Jan 2010).

Haven't been able to lurk on here much either due to other reasons.

Think you should keep a minimum though as, like others have said, if it was made free to join the [HMRC] troll count would very quickly go through the roof...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
                  I only joined recently due to a combination of cash flow issues and having to shake off the apathy caused by all the recent disappointments (I still can't get over the fact that we lost the JR and the appeal, after what I heard in court in Jan 2010).

Haven't been able to lurk on here much either due to other reasons.

Think you should keep a minimum though as, like others have said, if it was made free to join the [HMRC] troll count would very quickly go through the roof...
                  Why not have a weekend sale ? i.e £100 ( or £50 ) get the numbers up as you want then let the price return to £200. We'll get the word out about the sale. Hopefully the trolls will miss it? especially if it's over a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by wertert View Post
                    Why not have a weekend sale ? i.e £100 ( or £50 ) get the numbers up as you want then let the price return to £200. We'll get the word out about the sale. Hopefully the trolls will miss it? especially if it's over a weekend.
                    Wouldn't worry about Trolls. Bet HMRC are already a member of NTRT.

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                      Wouldn't worry about Trolls. Bet HMRC are already a member of NTRT.
                      So HMRC thanks for donating towards our fighting fund!

Comment

Working...
                      X