• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    It is the same standard BS reply that most people have had.

Have you sent him this?
    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...amendment.docx

It is not too late to send this because we are hoping the matter will be revisited during the reporting stage of the bill next week.
    Isnt that letter out of date - no such amendment was tabled was it? The amendment only sought a review as I understood it.

Comment

It is the same standard BS reply that most people have had.

Have you sent him this?
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...amendment.docx

It is not too late to send this because we are hoping the matter will be revisited during the reporting stage of the bill next week.
      Yes, I did send him that too... I am sure he has ignored it too... :-(

Comment

Originally posted by p4nd4b34r View Post
        Isnt that letter out of date - no such amendment was tabled was it? The amendment only sought a review as I understood it.
        But it might be at some point in the future.

In any case, does anyone actually believe someone in HM Treasury reads these letters?

if (letter mentions s58) {
        send standard response;
        file in bin;
        }

Comment

But it might be at some point in the future.

In any case, does anyone actually believe someone in HM Treasury reads these letters?

if (letter mentions s58) {
          send standard response;
          file in bin;
          }
          It does seem very much like it... How can we trust any politician at all? No wonder people do not exercise their voting rights!

So, no need to take it forward with this MP at the moment, right?

Comment

Originally posted by marcuss View Post
            It does seem very much like it... How can we trust any politician at all? No wonder people do not exercise their voting rights!

Yes put him on hold for the moment.

Comment

Is it just me or has CUK been a bit slow/flaky over the past day or so? I'm getting lots of timeouts.

Comment

Originally posted by marcuss View Post

While I support DR and Co in their efforts to get some traction though another route, as I really don't relish having to pay an unjust and pernicious arbitrary penalty for trying to get some certainty in my tax affairs in a legal manner, there is only one outcome I can see from this.

The political process is intended to maintain the status quo. That is what it is there for.. Changing the will of the executive and the civil service will never happen from within, especially to reverse legislation. The whole intention of the display of aimless, ill-informed stupidity called Parliament is the opposite. It is a charade of representative democracy and has been for a very long time.

<rant>
                History shows us that the only real way to influence this is:
                1) an extended direct action campaign (anyone see the Queen and Martin McGuinness ?)
                2) A front page media campaign causing politicians to immediately alter course to the meme of the moment (hence the moral cesspit of envy politics we are in now)
                3) Offering a quid pro quo to decision making cabinet misters or civil servants for when they leave office (innumerable revolving door examples)
                4) Court rulings (which we have exhausted due to the fabian cancer eating away at our judiciary)

The game of westminster is nothing but a way to occupy time for a load of idiots, 22 year old SPADS and vested interests while the actual country rapidly turns into a third world nation.

Its going to be like the courts all over again. There is no such thing as natural justice, historical fought for principles no longer matter, no one gives a rat s**t if you are going bankrupt or not. What matters is the MPs profile on the BBC politics shows and the Civil service never having to admit any wrong doing.

Look at really serious stuff like BSE, Windscale, the Iraq war, rendition and torture. You think 3000 persecuted individuals or weird ideas like legal expectation and common law rights are of any importance.
                </rant>

I hope The lobby company helps, I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                  1 point I really would like answered. Why was it just this tax avoidance scheme that has been targeted retrospectively?

Why not k2 (jimmy carr)?
                  Why not castlemaine - who have been going with dodgy loans for 10 years!!!?
                  Why not tax avoidance from 'artificially flipping homes'?
                  Do you mean like Danny Alexander?

Danny Alexander in spotlight over tax loophole | Politics | The Guardian

Remember, we're all in this together.
                  There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by p4nd4b34r View Post
                    'Our' amendment was tabled at Committee stage and withdrawn. He refers to Reporting Stage which is the next stage before 3rd Reading in a Bill's passage to becoming law.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

No wonder you are ready_to_leave.

The Civil Servants are the real problem. They are the one thing that hasn't changed in the past 4 years, and almost certainly explains why Gauke appears to have had a brain transplant.

I don't want to say too much on here but we do have a few things going for us. However, I understand your scepticism/cynicism.

Comment

Working...
                      X