• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
    Is anyone else considering this approach or are most waiting for instructions from Whitehouse?
    I would wait and save your energy for the journey ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      I would wait and save your energy for the journey ahead.
      Will it not be all over by Christmas?

And to think back in 2008 I said it would be over by 2012 and I have one of the highest estimates.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Will it not be all over by Christmas?

And to think back in 2008 I said it would be over by 2012 and I have one of the highest estimates.
        There's a backlog of 40 years worth of cases in the tax courts.

Comment

I'll be dead by then !

Comment

That is truly scary! It's a dreadful indictment of UK Tax Law.

Isn't there a 'Campaign for Tax Law Rewrite' (or something), supported by the CBI? Can there even BE a more compelling argument in its favour, than all the anxiety & misery caused by s58, IR35 and so on?

Comment

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
              That is truly scary! It's a dreadful indictment of UK Tax Law.

Isn't there a 'Campaign for Tax Law Rewrite' (or something), supported by the CBI? Can there even BE a more compelling argument in its favour, than all the anxiety & misery caused by s58, IR35 and so on?
              There was a clause in this year's finance bill about rationalising/simplifying provisions which was discussed the other night while we were waiting for ours to be heard.

If you heard what this included you wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic came to mind.

Comment

Contact with MP

There was a clause in this year's finance bill about rationalising/simplifying provisions which was discussed the other night while we were waiting for ours to be heard.

If you heard what this included you wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic came to mind.
                I listened to the transcript yesterday and obviously heard Fabian Hamilton speak, He is my MP and I have spoken to him about the situation on a number of occasions. I contacted him yesterday and here is the response I received and I quote:-

I was disappointed that we only got 5 minutesn to debate Nigel Mill's new clause 4 and its a shame there was not a division. What a shame that David Gauke trotted out the old Treasury line once again. We will try to raise the issue again on the floor of the House in Monday and Tuesday's debates at the Report Stage of the Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlackDog View Post
                  I listened to the transcript yesterday and obviously heard Fabian Hamilton speak, He is my MP and I have spoken to him about the situation on a number of occasions. I contacted him yesterday and here is the response I received and I quote:-

I was disappointed that we only got 5 minutesn to debate Nigel Mill's new clause 4 and its a shame there was not a division. What a shame that David Gauke trotted out the old Treasury line once again. We will try to raise the issue again on the floor of the House in Monday and Tuesday's debates at the Report Stage of the Bill.

PS. and Fabian Hamilton is a Labour MP
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 28 June 2012, 09:37.

Comment

PS. and Fabian Hamilton is a Labour MP
                    What a top bloke. It's such a pity Labour has put us through all this cr@p in the first place (and IR35). It does go to show some MP's do actually have morals!

Thank you Mr Mills and Mr Hamilton!

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                      What a top bloke. It's such a pity Labour has put us through all this cr@p in the first place (and IR35). It does go to show some MP's do actually have morals!

Thank you Mr Mills and Mr Hamilton!
                      When confronted with the impact of S58, most Labour MPs are appalled. They don't even try to defend their Government for introducing it. Even Alistair Darling has said this shouldn't have happened.

You could accuse them of being two faced but I don't believe so.

If HMRC/Treasury are counting on Labour to support S58 they can forget it.

Comment

Working...
                      X