• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You cannot win a war from 1 shot in a small skirmish. But you can lose one.

In parliamentary terms the process does not work that way. The tabling of the amendment is a huge step. As it was (unsurprisingly) not accepted by Gauke then if not withdrawn it would have been defeated on division. It is, still, very much alive and will hopefully get a wider audience during debate.

It is essential to get a lot more support before any sort of vote on it.

I would be very interested in Whitehouse's reaction.

Good luck, progress IS being made.

Comment

+1

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      In parliamentary terms the process does not work that way. The tabling of the amendment is a huge step. As it was (unsurprisingly) not accepted by Gauke then if not withdrawn it would have been defeated on division. It is, still, very much alive and will hopefully get a wider audience during debate.

It is essential to get a lot more support before any sort of vote on it.

Good luck, progress IS being made.
      It sounds as if we're simply not equipped to decode what went on yesterday. A lot of what was said was hidden away in the sub-text.

It had the flavour of a kind of dance, with Whitehouse doing some stunningly professional choreography.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

By the way, I seriously doubt that Gauke the person/MP (as opposed to Gauke the Minister) supports S58.

We were planning to get a newsletter out to members this week but it probably won't be until early next week as we're a bit busy.

Anyone have Jacob Rees-Mogg (North East Somerset) as their MP?

Comment

Another thing I found interesting last night

was during the 7.00pm break, when the microphone was left on, 2 MP's were discussing the Czech Republic, where there is apparently a flat rate of 19% across the board, all monies paid out have this deducted and there is no tax avoidance.

Comment

Originally posted by OldITGit View Post
            was during the 7.00pm break, when the microphone was left on, 2 MP's were discussing the Czech Republic, where there is apparently a flat rate of 19% across the board, all monies paid out have this deducted and there is no tax avoidance.
            Something similar on Sky News. A mini debate with 1 MP (can't remember her name) and some other expert.

The bottom line was put to them, "what if the high rate of tax was reduced from 40% to 30%?" and tax avoidance schemes were banned all together.

The MP responded with the fact it would put a lot of people of work in the public sector and accountants would have nothing to do.

So if we did simplify the tax system loads of people would be out of work !

Comment

Germany also. Expected retention 79-80%, no schemes, no shams. The dawn is breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

By the way, I seriously doubt that Gauke the person/MP (as opposed to Gauke the Minister) supports S58.

We were planning to get a newsletter out to members this week but it probably won't be until early next week as we're a bit busy.

Anyone have Jacob Rees-Mogg (North East Somerset) as their MP?
                I presume this letter will give further guidance on what to say to/ask of our MPs in the weeks to come. Before last night's debate, my MP thought that the tabled ammendment appeared a bit weak. Now that it has been withdrawn, I don't want her to think that we've thrown in the towel and there is not much more she can do.

Comment

Surely common sense isn't prevailing? Lots of redundancies at hmrc if they did do that, that's probably what they're more scared of, oh and the L&b smoking unwashed benefit electorate who will vote against them as they're too thick to understand they would also be better off!

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
                    I presume this letter will give further guidance on what to say to/ask of our MPs in the weeks to come. Before last night's debate, my MP thought that the tabled ammendment appeared a bit weak. Now that it has been withdrawn, I don't want her to think that we've thrown in the towel and there is not much more she can do.
                    Thrown in the towel?

We've only just got started.

The NTRT newsletter will explain all.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Thrown in the towel?

We've only just got started.

The NTRT newsletter will explain all.
                      Sadly not to me :-( But then I'm not contributing financially to it's production

Comment

Working...
                      X