• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Children as shareholders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Like I said in the other thread, your kids - no matter how old - will fall under the connected persons rule, which apllies to any family member other than your spouse. So it is entrirely legal to gve them as much of your income as you wish, by whatever means you wish - as long as you personally pay the full PAYE and NICs due against it first. I suspect that was not the general idea...
    Mal,

It's rather simpler than that. There is a very specific piece of S660 which states that income arising from parental gifts (e.g. shares held in trust) in excess of £100 per parent (i.e the income > £100) is specifically chargeable to tax on the donor. It's not the connected persons rule.

However, lets assume Grandad gives them 100k and they buy shares. That's fine. No connected rule applies.

But instead of buying shares in xyz plc with the 100k they then buy shares in the parents company. Then connected persons rule.

However, if assets are placed into an accumulation and maintenance trust, and it is properly trusteed etc then the parent will escape the taxation. However the cost of doing this is likely to exceed any possible benefit, and further the trust itself is liable to tax. There may be some scenarios where a saving could be made, but in order to ascertain this it is likely to cost more than any saving unless truly large sums are involved.

Comment

Working...
    X