• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tax-free directors salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Pay £7,072 salary (£589 per month) - no employers NIC, CT relief for company is 20%x(12x£589) = £1,413.60

Pay £7,225 salary (£602 per month) - employers NIC is 13.8%x(12x£602-£7,072) = £20.98, CT relief for company is 20%x(12x£602+£20.98) = £1,449

There is a CT saving paying a salary of £7,225 of £35.40 for an extra £20.98 employers NIC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kugel View Post
      Pay £7,072 salary (£589 per month) - no employers NIC, CT relief for company is 20%x(12x£589) = £1,413.60

Pay £7,225 salary (£602 per month) - employers NIC is 13.8%x(12x£602-£7,072) = £20.98, CT relief for company is 20%x(12x£602+£20.98) = £1,449

There is a CT saving paying a salary of £7,225 of £35.40 for an extra £20.98 employers NIC.
      Can any accountants confirm this?

If so.............

Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

There is a slight saving on paying a salary upto the employees threshold of £7,225 instead of the recommended £7,072.

However, by doing so the company will need to make quarterly payments of NIC to HMRC, so this very small saving is generally not worth the extra effort of the client having to make regular payments to HMRC and risk being fined if they are late etc.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
          There is a slight saving on paying a salary upto the employees threshold of £7,225 instead of the recommended £7,072.

However, by doing so the company will need to make quarterly payments of NIC to HMRC, so this very small saving is generally not worth the extra effort of the client having to make regular payments to HMRC and risk being fined if they are late etc.

Alan
          Cheers, Alan.

Well an extra £35.40 in my pocket means 12 pints of beer in my local
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
            Quarterly payments? Really? Secondary threshold of £7,072 will be exceeded in month 12. Until then there are no employers NICs due.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              Well an extra £35.40 in my pocket means 12 pints of beer in my local
              It is actually extra £14.42 in your pocket. More like 4 pints.

Comment

Quarterly payments? Really? Secondary threshold of £7,072 will be exceeded in month 12. Until then there are no employers NICs due.
                It doesn't work like that. If it did then regular employees would end up with a different amount in their pay packet every month.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It is actually extra £14.42 in your pocket. More like 4 pints.
                  Correct. Plus it's not actually in your pocket, the saving is in CT so it's still in the company. If you normally take dividends right up the 40% band then you will have to reduce them accordingly to remain under it because your salary has gone up. If you don't then you'll be paying 25% tax on that £14.42.

Down to 3 pints.
                  Last edited by MrRobin; 8 February 2012, 15:50.
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    It doesn't work like that. If it did then regular employees would end up with a different amount in their pay packet every month.
                    He's talking about ER's NI, not EE's NI.
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      I am not a regular employee. I am a Director.

Comment

Working...
                      X