• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How painful is it to switch to a different accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

Just wanted report on progress of resolving my issues with SJD Accountancy. Got in touch with Simon Dolan, who is hiding behind simonsjdaccountancy name on this forum and he appologised for the problems I have and kindly agreed to assign me to a different accountant.

Will see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by gemasp View Post
      Hi guys,

Just wanted report on progress of resolving my issues with SJD Accountancy. Got in touch with Simon Dolan, who is hiding behind simonsjdaccountancy name on this forum and he appologised for the problems I have and kindly agreed to assign me to a different accountant.

Will see how it goes.
      Well if the new accountant is not up to scatch! why not try Smith Craven Chartered Accountants. Hope it goes well for you
      Last edited by administrator; 6 October 2011, 16:11. Reason: Removed excessive marketing

Comment

Hi,

Here's some of my recent experiences. I've been with Paystream for about 8 years and have decided that I'm paying over the odds. I informed them of my intention to leave. They have kindly offered to pass on up to date records for £200+VAT. I can't see why I should pay this, I've already paid accountacy fees from April to now, the accounts should be up to date, that's what I've paid for. If they will not pass on up to date records then they have not provided the service that I paid for and should therefore make a refund.

I approached Nixon Williams, very keen to take my business they quoted me £630, or 7 months at £75+VAT. In other words, full rate backdated 7 months. What a bargain!

The moral of the story is this;

1. Don't switch until the end of the financial year.
        2. Make sure your shirt is tucked in or they'll have that too!

Comment

Originally posted by kaito View Post
          Hi,

Here's some of my recent experiences. I've been with Paystream for about 8 years and have decided that I'm paying over the odds. I informed them of my intention to leave. They have kindly offered to pass on up to date records for £200+VAT. I can't see why I should pay this, I've already paid accountacy fees from April to now, the accounts should be up to date, that's what I've paid for. If they will not pass on up to date records then they have not provided the service that I paid for and should therefore make a refund.

I approached Nixon Williams, very keen to take my business they quoted me £630, or 7 months at £75+VAT. In other words, full rate backdated 7 months. What a bargain!

The moral of the story is this;

1. Don't switch until the end of the financial year.
          2. Make sure your shirt is tucked in or they'll have that too!
          It's rare for accountants to charge a leaving fee, so you're unlucky there. That being said, your new accountant should be able to get all the information they need from Companies House and HMRC, it will just take more time to get.

The same goes for backdated charges, some accountants charge and some don't.

The advice is to shop around
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Not always greener...

Originally posted by roulette45
            Hi
            The numerous errors that were found were corrected free of charge and there monthly fee of £60 +vat is great.

Excellent price and great service
            Interesting considering the staff at your new place is likely to be the same as your old....so he found his own errors!?

Comment

I was with my old accountant for 2 months and they made about 2 mistakes a week in that time. In fact, I'd say they probably did more wrong than right.

A friend of mine was with them too and they were the same with him - hes since left also. Naming no names but they're on the PCGs approved list and they're local to me.

Moved to NW and they've been great. Old accountant totally ignored me since I left - didnt even phone me to ask me why. All I got was an email from his assistant confirming receipt of my letter.

And they seem to be ignoring NW for now as well.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Another question to add to this thread

When is the best time to change accountant?

Year End?
                Mid - Year?

Or does it not matter?

Am considering changing, as I am using a local accountant who knows little of IT contracting and is charging over £150 a month. Nice guy, but expensive and I am not getting £150 of value out of them.
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post

Year End?
                  Mid - Year?

Or does it not matter?

Am considering changing, as I am using a local accountant who knows little of IT contracting and is charging over £150 a month. Nice guy, but expensive and I am not getting £150 of value out of them.
                  Fee wise I would say at year-end is best as you have already contributed monthly towards the final set.
                  Work wise though at any point is easy for handover. That's from an accountant’s point of view.
                  http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post

Year End?
                    Mid - Year?

Or does it not matter?

It should not matter when you change as your new accountant will send a professional clearance letter to you previous accountant requesting the information they need.

It also helps if your records are kept up to date by you as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X