• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycle to work scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Just buy the bike as a company asset.
    This is precisely what we were advised by the accountant. No mileage allowance, but you get to have a nice shiny new bioke to play with, which depreciates kindly for you to dispose of it when you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
      This is precisely what we were advised by the accountant. No mileage allowance, but you get to have a nice shiny new bioke to play with, which depreciates kindly for you to dispose of it when you will.
      Damn, I have just bought myself a new mountain bike but I paid out of personal funds .... it wasn't cheap ...

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
        Damn, I have just bought myself a new mountain bike but I paid out of personal funds .... it wasn't cheap ...
        Sell it to your LTD for cost i.e. claim it back on expenses.

As long as it is covered within the allowable time frame to claim back the VAT (your accountant will know what that is) then I cannot see an issue - its what I did with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by h8mmer View Post
          Sell it to your LTD for cost i.e. claim it back on expenses.

As long as it is covered within the allowable time frame to claim back the VAT (your accountant will know what that is) then I cannot see an issue - its what I did with mine.
          Sorry, didn't mean claim on "expenses" - just sell it to your company!

Comment

Reflective jacket?

Hi All

I presume ok for my Ltd co purchase as expense a reflective jacket to wear when on the bike travelling to clients? Also a set of bike-lights are needed.

Bought some fantastic waterproof "Overshoes" from ebay so my shoes won't get wet if any showers. I'm using the bike most days to client now, will see how far thru winter I get..

Cheers, rich

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
              Hi All

I presume ok for my Ltd co purchase as expense a reflective jacket to wear when on the bike travelling to clients? Also a set of bike-lights are needed.
              My accountant says YES!

http://www.nixonwilliams.com/images/...y%20Cycles.pdf
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                Good on Nixon Williams!
                Fantastic, cheers. rich

Comment

second ltd co bike for same employee?

Got bicycle. Now thinking, the one ltd co bought road hybrid bike. Can ltd justify buying a second bicycle that gets used by me as well?

I'd get a mountain bike this time, so can take different routes to clients (along tow path, sustrans cycle routes etc)

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
                    Got bicycle. Now thinking, the one ltd co bought road hybrid bike. Can ltd justify buying a second bicycle that gets used by me as well?

I'd get a mountain bike this time, so can take different routes to clients (along tow path, sustrans cycle routes etc)
                    I don't think there's an issue, as it remains a company asset. I have 7 computers, a HDD Camcorder, 2 ipads. It will go down as an asset, I presume, and you'l have to tally it all up when you dissolve your company, sell assets etc.

Comment

How about ongoing bicycle maintenance costs if the bike is owned by the company? Claimable?

Comment

Working...
                      X