• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legality of tax insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
    The TLC35 insurance was constructed by ex-HMRC inspectors and was reviewed and approved by insurers prior to being released to the market a number of years ago.
    Can you give us a real world example of a case (anonymised of course) of where you have paid out? Or has this never happened?
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Very helpful discussion

Cheers guys, especially Lisa and Qdos.

I think my mate may not have realised this wasn't a criminal matter, or taken account of the conditions Qdos Consulting mentioned. As I said, he is pretty knowledgeable about insurance generally but this area is not one he has experience of.

I still don't look forward to that inevitable envelope landing on my doorstep but I am somewhat reassured.

Am sure it's been said many times many ways but what I despise most about IR35 is the greyness of it and the atmosphere of fear, uncertainty and doubt that goes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        Can you give us a real world example of a case (anonymised of course) of where you have paid out? Or has this never happened?
        Only QDOS can answer this one, but I doubt they have ever had to pay out. Only a handful of cases have gone all-the-way, and they were probably not TLC35 policy holders.

Thats why the insurance is relatively cheap. The chances of a claim are low - and they don't offer cover to the really high risk ones. If they lose a case, I would fully expect them to cough up.

Of course if they start losing a succession of cases - and end up having multiple 6-figure payouts, expect their underwriters to demand significantly higher renewal premiums, or pull the plug completely on the product - which leaves people exposed for 5 years as the cover is only for investigations initiated in the 1 year you have the policy, not the following 5 years.

Comment

Out of the 1,300+ cases we've dealt with we've only lost about 5 and none of them had the full TLC35 insurance. This has only been down to the skill and experience of our consultants; the cases we have won certainly haven't been easy (as numerous clients will testify).

When we designed the product we certainly didn't expect to maintain a claim-free record on the liability part of the insurance and, assuming HMRC plough resources back into IR35 once the review is complete, I doubt the record will stay intact. This is something both Qdos and our underwriters appreciate.

For the avoidance of doubt, we have never rejected a TLC claim or pulled out of covering a case. We actually like dealing with IR35 enquiries.
          Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Some good insight from QDOS here on their policy. I havent taken it out yet but I think I will do soon,
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I should say, as I kind of panned the TLC product, in the interest of balance, the TaxWise product is exceptional. So far I have only had to make a couple of small claims and all were paid without any problem and the panel of experts you can call on really are very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
                We actually like dealing with IR35 enquiries.
                Love it!

Comment

Working...
                X