• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just if anyone is interested the only reason I heard about the article is because I have a google alert setup for montpelier. I get a mail if any news article is published with "Montpelier" in the title...

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      just if anyone is interested the only reason I heard about the article is because I have a google alert setup for montpelier. I get a mail if any news article is published with "Montpelier" in the title...
      Helpful idea.

I used to have an alert for "HMRC are thugs, barbarians and shysters" but my Inbox got so full I had to cancel it...
      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

I just noticed this incitement to take part in tax avoidance on the Virgin Money website... My Virgin Money Magazine - Ask the Expert How could they suggest that people avoid paying more tax than they legally need to? HMRC isn't going to like this lack of fairness...

Comment

Hmrc lawyer asked to swear oath.

BBC News - HMRC top lawyer forced to swear oath in Parliament

Very unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            Hmrc lawyer asked to swear oath.

BBC News - HMRC top lawyer forced to swear oath in Parliament

Very unusual.
            " The committee made Mr Inglese swear an oath after he continually declined to answer questions on the grounds of taxpayer confidentiality. "

SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Pre-judice

We'd better not get this bloke in the Supreme Court:

Supreme court appointee says role of British judges is too politicised | Law | The Guardian

Seems like he's already made his mind up. So much for justice.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                We'd better not get this bloke in the Supreme Court:

Supreme court appointee says role of British judges is too politicised | Law | The Guardian

Seems like he's already made his mind up. So much for justice.
                This guy should read the UK Human Rights Act 1999, which was passed by Parliament, before he starts spouting off.

It is enshrined in the Act that the judiciary have responsibility to scrutinise the legislature and should, where circumstances dictate, issue declarations of incompatibility.

It was Parliament itself which decided to incorporate ECHR in to UK Law, so judges cannot be overstepping the mark by carrying out the role of scrutiny which Parliament has imposed on them. The President of the Supreme Court Lord Phillips (this guy's new boss!) went to great length to explain this point in a recent TV documentary about the court. Sadly, very few people (including the politicians) get it.

The UK courts are just doing what Parliament has told them to do. If politicians don't like it then they should repeal the HRA instead of bleating about it.

Comment

Off-topic?

Last 10 pence

A father walks into a restaurant with his young son.
                  He gives the young boy three 10p coins to play with to keep him occupied.

Suddenly, the boy starts choking and going blue in the face....
                  The father realises the boy has swallowed the coins and starts slapping him on the back..

The boy coughs up 2 of the 10p's but is still choking.
                  Looking at his son, the father is panicking, shouting for help.

A well dressed, attractive, and serious looking woman, in a blue business suit is sitting at a coffee bar reading a newspaper and sipping a cup of coffee.
                  At the sound of the commotion, she looks up, puts her coffee cup down, neatly folds the newspaper, places it on the counter, gets up from her seat and makes her way, unhurried, across the restaurant.

Reaching the boy, the woman carefully pulls down his pants; takes hold of the boy's' testicles and starts to squeeze and twist, gently at first and then ever so firmly.. tighter and tighter !!!
                  After a few seconds the boy convulses violently and coughs up the last of the 10p's, which the woman deftly catches in her free hand.

Releasing the boy's testicles, the woman hands the coin to the father and walks back to her seat at the coffee bar without saying a word.

As soon as he is sure that his son has suffered no ill effects, the father rushes over to the woman and starts thanking her saying, "I've never seen anybody do anything like that before, it was fantastic. Are you a doctor? "

'No,' the woman replied.
                  I'm with HMRC ..'
                  "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    This guy should read the UK Human Rights Act 1999, which was passed by Parliament, before he starts spouting off.

It is enshrined in the Act that the judiciary have responsibility to scrutinise the legislature and should, where circumstances dictate, issue declarations of incompatibility.

It was Parliament itself which decided to incorporate ECHR in to UK Law, so judges cannot be overstepping the mark by carrying out the role of scrutiny which Parliament has imposed on them. The President of the Supreme Court Lord Phillips (this guy's new boss!) went to great length to explain this point in a recent TV documentary about the court. Sadly, very few people (including the politicians) get it.

The UK courts are just doing what Parliament has told them to do. If politicians don't like it then they should repeal the HRA instead of bleating about it.
                    Maybe, but I like this extract from his speech...

"The result of this approach has been to shrink the 'margin of appreciation' allowed to contracting states [to interpret general principles in different national ways] to almost nothing."

If that were absolutely true, Parker should have found in our favour at round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
                      Maybe, but I like this extract from his speech...

"The result of this approach has been to shrink the 'margin of appreciation' allowed to contracting states [to interpret general principles in different national ways] to almost nothing."
                      That is the sort of BS I would expect to eminate from Tory Central Office.

It is not the judiciary who are interfering in politics. It is Mr Sumption himself!!!

I am sure he will change his tune once he starts sitting in the SC.

Comment

Working...
                      X