• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks ....

Originally posted by Cantthinkof1 View Post
    DR - send you a PM about whether this is 2.5% or 3% ...
    DR Many Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
      How times change. Back in 2002 during an MTM roadshow I asked about what would happen if the scheme was found not to work. The reply I got at the time was 'well, if all else fails, we always negotiate in the final instance.' I suppose this just shows agressive the Inland Revenue have become over the intervening years since their merger with the Customs and Excise rotweilers!

At least everyone now knows that there is no point in either attempting appeasement or throwing in the towel. We might as well go down fighting (or hopefully not go down at all).
      i get the impression someone somewhere in HMRC has a personal vendetta against MP so Im really not surprised this is their stance. I even think if we eventually win the court case HMRC wont roll over without a fight.

Comment

[QUOTE=DonkeyRhubarb;1395944]

I put it to him that we would want to settle the tax, I suggested
        that perhaps as a concession he would allow us not to pay interest and
        he was just not interested whatsoever. In fairness to him he said
        there were no concessions available even though I discussed that
        perhaps a group of people, say 200, had this money and wanted to
        settle a substantial amount for the Treasury, but <name removed> was quite emphatic when he said there were no deals on the table for Montpelier
        customers.

[QUOTE]

Why did <name removed> say "Montpelier customers"? This wording does not close the door on deals for customers of other providers.

Comment

Good point - well made

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Yes, and all the whingers should be bloody grateful to the person who actually got off their arse and tried because it cost them a lot of money to find out.
          Hear hear
          Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
            Why did <name removed> say "Montpelier customers"? This wording does not close the door on deals for customers of other providers.
            If anyone wants to try PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              If anyone wants to try PM me.
              I'm a MP client and I never wanted to try....even less now.
              My point was more that this statement smacks again of predjudice towards MP.

He didn't phrase it that a deal was not on the table to users of the DTA scheme but specifically MP clients.
              Last edited by screwthis; 21 September 2011, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
                I'm a MP client and I never wanted to try....even less now.
                My point was more that this statement smacks again of predjudice towards MP.

He didn't phrase it that a deal was not on the table to users of the DTA scheme but specifically MP clients.
                Knowing the HMRC officer concerned, there is definitely history between him and MP.

However, it would be way above his pay grade to offer deals to anyone on the scheme, especially as it's now going to the Supreme Court.

Comment

No real surprise. HMRC only tend to do deals (i.e. GPs, Vodafone etc.) before legal action starts. Once you get to court, it's an all-or-nothing situation.

Look at it from their point of view. They have won twice in court. In order to negotiate, you need to have something to negotiate with. They don't care about the cash - it's more about getting the result affirmed.

Comment

Im surprised no one appears to have picked this up

"David Gauke, Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, said: ‘Although these numbers show continued progress by HMRC in reducing the tax gap, there is no room for complacency. Just in the last few weeks we have challenged offshore tax evaders, closed tax avoidance loopholes and created a new HMRC unit to ensure that the wealthier members of society pay their share.”

and

"We will continue to take action to prevent a minority of rule breakers dodging their responsibility to pay the right tax at the right time.”

Britain 'lost' £35bn in uncollected taxes last year - Telegraph

Those who keep on saying 'we'll win' need to seriously make alternative arrangements imo instead of shying away from the reality.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      Those who keep on saying 'we'll win' need to seriously make alternative arrangements imo instead of shying away from the reality.
                      WHS

alternative arrangements
                      Last edited by Donnie Darko; 21 September 2011, 19:13.

Comment

Working...
                      X