• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
    From George Osborne: I'm going after the wealthy tax dodgers - Telegraph

"it_contractor

7 minutes ago

Yes. I attended the sales pitch they ran at the start of the scheme a good few years ago now as an undercover interested party.

I've been following them ever since and have been assisting various parties with the information gathered.

This work has been bearing fruit of late and it's only a matter of time before the parasites are forced to give up their ill gotten gains. "

He encourages others to have a laugh at this thread and those being made bankrupt.

He is also under the illusion that those affected have a few houses and plenty of money to pay. He hears only what he wants to hear and it is unfortunate that we are up against this sort of ignorance. We must educate those that have this opinion and the starting point is your MP.
    It seems this guy has fallen for HMRCs story. But that story is provably false and perhaps once he realises this he'll think again about what he has written.

It is strange that he has taken such an interest in it - there is so much detail that it is usually difficult to find someone interested in it that is not involved in it. Perhaps he has been played and has paid up to HMRCs demands. There will be no chance of getting that money back - which might explain his interest.
    There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
      It seems this guy has fallen for HMRCs story. But that story is provably false and perhaps once he realises this he'll think again about what he has written.

It is strange that he has taken such an interest in it - there is so much detail that it is usually difficult to find someone interested in it that is not involved in it. Perhaps he has been played and has paid up to HMRCs demands. There will be no chance of getting that money back - which might explain his interest.
      I think he's just full of tulip. All this 'undercover' bollox. You have to wonder what goes on in his head. I think you're dead on the money in your analysis. He went to the meetings because we wanted to use it. I wonder if he's one of the Suo Moto crowd with a chip on his shoulder? Doesn't like the idea of us possibly succeeding, because he coughed up without a fight. I think he's getting his kicks out of ragging us. Anyone reading his rants won't think too much of him anyway, he sees it as doing an exposé, but anyone who reads his poison pen writings will recognise someone who is just a little too bitter, too eager to blow the whistle. There's nothing he can say anyway which isn't easily accessible to anyone who cares to look. People may not like tax-avoiders, but they don't particularly like bitter tell-tales either.

Be careful when you argue with a fool, in case people can't tell the difference.

Might I suggest that we do not reference him in our responses? Just make the points clear, honest and factual. Maybe he'll piss off and get a new rattle.

Another thing, beating ITContractor is not what we are interested in. If we reference him in our replies, especially if it's an angry response, then the very first thing the casual reader will do is scroll up to what he said to see what we are responding to. He's irrelevant, and has nothing new to say. Let's monitor what he says, then reply with the facts without mentioning his name. Let's not play his childish games.
      Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 10 April 2012, 21:59.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaBeOptimistic View Post
        I think .....
        Well if this does not help the discrimination point, I don't know what will.

So yes it is within the law at this point in time..... but of course tomorrows another day and no doubt HMRC and GOV will be rushing legislation through to emphasis this is not within the spirit of the law and it was 'obviously' never parliaments intention to facilitate such tax planning that is 'plainly unacceptable in terms of UK public policy' and so said individuals will be hit with retrospection...... my forkin ar*e will they...

Given this is clearly in the public interest one should have access to the the respective report and the anonymous accounts..... which surely would help to demonstrate the discrimination..... more to the point would really be interesting to note how many years the respective individuals were submitting similar accounts which of course HMRC one might argue selectively ignored or maybe just slipped through the net......as they are clever, I mean using charity to offset 10M? dear oh dear thats a hard spot

.... also wrt it_contractor can we please stop acknowledging these individuals, it only serves to derail our momentum.
        - SL -

Comment

How often do we now hear the term 'what parliament intended' ? How often do we now see attacks on 'people who arent paying their fair share' etc etc. Now the latest 'the top 20 are paying little or nothing' - funny I thought 10% was the average which is certainly not nothing and clearly a lot given they are earning 20million plus each.
          I'm so fed up with this rubbish being spouted all because government spending is out of control and the government needs scapegoats wherever it can find them ! We dont stand a chance. All logical thought has left our shores and wont return until the next growth spurt finally arrives in a few years time. I doubt the thinking in Strasburg is much different.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_lining View Post

.... also wrt it_contractor can we please stop acknowledging these individuals, it only serves to derail our momentum.
            Totally agree. Dont argue or even respond to other points of view. It just gives them a platform to respond even further and get into a debate which often leads to nothing more than emotive language about paying your fair share (whatever that may be). Just make comments and and lay out the facts, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
              I think he's just full of tulip. All this 'undercover' bollox. You have to wonder what goes on in his head....
              Hmmm, undercover stories, delusions of grandeur and insane rants. I think our regular visitor from the loony bin is back.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
                How often do we now hear the term 'what parliament intended' ? How often do we now see attacks on 'people who arent paying their fair share' etc etc. Now the latest 'the top 20 are paying little or nothing' - funny I thought 10% was the average which is certainly not nothing and clearly a lot given they are earning 20million plus each.
                I'm so fed up with this rubbish being spouted all because government spending is out of control and the government needs scapegoats wherever it can find them ! We dont stand a chance. All logical thought has left our shores and wont return until the next growth spurt finally arrives in a few years time. I doubt the thinking in Strasburg is much different.
                Fed up also.. seems that everyone except us is a paragon of virtue who actually goes out of their way to pay as much tax as they can, because they are so righteous. B0ll0x,

Comment

The facts

Who cares what bollox some HMRC stooge writes here or on FT comments!! Ignore the prick!

The facts are what matter: we just want our tax teturns to be judged in court using the letter of the law as it stood when those returns were submitted. Simples!!

As for what Parliament intended, Hansard clearly recorded debate around Padmore and this specifically exempted those caught by that law change. Is it not reasonable to conclude Parliament "always intends" to protect its citizens from any negative affect from retro law change?!? So, in keeping with that precedent, I would expect a tax tribunal to assess my returns based on pre FinAct'08. If we're proven wrong and the scheme fails (like Hector claims) according to pre '08 law, then fair enough.

Keep up the pressure on MPs and various committees, we are definitely making progress. How about collectively asking our MPs to table an early day motion to debate limiting S58 application to post April '08 claims ? I think we need to move past writing informative letters now and begin pushing for some tangible action.
                  Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

MPs gone quiet ?

My MP has gone extremely quiet. I emailed (MP and PA) last week and heard nothing. Normally someone responds quite quickly. Maybe it is the recess ? Anyone else heard from their MP in the last week ?

Will call if I dont hear anything this week...
                    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      My MP has gone extremely quiet. I emailed (MP and PA) last week and heard nothing. Normally someone responds quite quickly. Maybe it is the recess ? Anyone else heard from their MP in the last week ?

Will call if I dont hear anything this week...
                      I'm still waiting to hear back from mine - well, at least for him to tell me the response he received from the treasury (which will be similar to others Im sure).

When I receive that, I will be arranging to go and see him.

Comment

Working...
                      X