• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RingStinger View Post
    I think it worth reminding people too that the numbers who're posting on here are a very small representation of the overall number affected.

I doubt there's more than 200 posters on here, regular or irregular (like myself). Thats less than 10% of the alleged 2,500 contractors impacted. So not very representative.

Those posting on here are probably more vocal in nature than you're average Joe caught up in this mess so its not fair to assume that just cos 50% of the 200 are moaning about MP and wanting settlements, that 50% of the other 2,300 feel the same.

They either don't know this forum exists, or they're more than likely happy with what MP are doing.
    2500 you say? Strange, WG told me in 2001 only 100 contractors would be invited into the scheme! Doesnt that suggest something to you?

Clearly, the majority of people arent on this forum but I think its presumptious to say why they arent or that they may be happy to 'go along' with MP!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
      Not heard directly from MP for ages and this forum/DR is my main source of info (thanks again DR).

Probably should email/call MP again. What's the best number/contact to speak too?
      Goodness knows! Didnt they move staff off the IoM to Manchester or somewhere?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        2500 you say? Strange, WG told me in 2001 only 100 contractors would be invited into the scheme! Doesnt that suggest something to you?

Clearly, the majority of people arent on this forum but I think its presumptious to say why they arent or that they may be happy to 'go along' with MP!
        I'm responsible for the figure of 2,500. MP has a share of that, somewhere north of 1,000. Others are spread around other promoters like Steed etc. Let's be honest, once someone else has got hold of it and is in the retail market with it what is the point of MP limiting their sales?

Now I don't know which came first (MP >100, 200, 500 whatever people heard) or the other promoters going flat out to sell it to the world.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Montpelier are not going to open up a dialogue with HMRC for indviduals or small numbers of people.

This would weaken their hand and would not be fair on those people, I believe are the vast majority, who want them to fight this all the way.

If you want to negotiate with HMRC then this is something you will have to instigate yourself.
          It's interesting how we are reacting given that whatever the outcome yesterday, we would have been in the same boat today - regardless of who won and was going to appeal.

I have no choice but coming along for the ride to the bitter end.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
            It's interesting how we are reacting given that whatever the outcome yesterday, we would have been in the same boat today - regardless of who won and was going to appeal.

I have no choice but coming along for the ride to the bitter end.
            The difference being that the verdict changes things somewhat.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              The difference being that the verdict changes things somewhat.
              if we do eventually lose I will be looking for MP to refund me the fees by default. Why should I have paid for something that didnt work. This will at least go some way to paying off my debt.

Im in it for the long haul now, no point trying to settle in the grand scheme of things 18 months or so isnt the difference in affordability.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                if we do eventually lose I will be looking for MP to refund me the fees by default. Why should I have paid for something that didnt work. This will at least go some way to paying off my debt.

Im in it for the long haul now, no point trying to settle in the grand scheme of things 18 months or so isnt the difference in affordability.
                Interesting point on the fees. Not sure what our legal position is on that.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Interesting point on the fees. Not sure what our legal position is on that.
                  another reason for fighting on, we wouldnt be able to argue the case for them until MP have thrown in the towel. Until then they would be of the view the fight is not over so I would imagine legaly we wouldnt have a case

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post

Don't think we'd have a chance in hell but it would certainly be nice.

Comment

Not sure what your potential liability is?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Tax/NIC

Sign up with the HMRC gateway and this will give you the tax/nic suspended for each year.

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk

Your HMRC Services -> Self Assessment -> View account -> Tax Years

Then select each year you were in the scheme.

The figure you are looking for is Less other adjustments. If you click on this it should show the payments on account which are currently suspended pending appeal.

Interest

Then use my interest calculations in the 1st post of this thread to estimate the % uplift for each tax year.
                      Thanks DR. Is it advisable to contact HMRC directly to work out individual liability? MP haven't been able to provide an accurate figure and I'll need this for a CTD. Note also in it for the long run..
                      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X