• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
    That's a good point though, isn't it?

I mean, why hasn't s58 spawned any successors? It must have been on the table as a revenue-collecting device prior to the Budget.

So why hasn't it been used?
    And why havn't the morally repugnant stamp duty schemes
    been closed retrospectively? I could go on....

We are being singled out, and I'd like to know why.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post

That my friend is the correct question !!!
      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post

its a good question - barclays only retrospective 2 months - port authority retrospection dropped (Bob Neill: Backdated port tax burden finally lifted - Local government - Department for Communities and Local Government)
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
          Prior to my meeting with my MP I thought I would have a little Devils Advocate Q&A against myself. Any extra comments/corrections, either way feel free:

What is the justification for such retrospection in the law that Section 58 Finance act 2008 allows ?
          - The intent of the law has not changed and dates back to 1987. Therefore it is no surprise.
          Then why not just apply the "intent" of the law to those affected by taking cases to the special commissioners ?
          - because the law needed to be clarified beforehand
          What was being clarified in Section 58 finance act 2008 ?
          - That it was not only partners affected but anyone receiving income from the trust

[....etc, etc]
          TC, please can I engage you to represent me at my tax tribunal?

Comment

Question

I know the radio silence from Montp is unsettling but trust me (I'm a DR ) there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

Does anyone need any reassurance?

It won't be too much longer until we get the next circular update.

Comment

its Friday

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              I know the radio silence from Montp is unsettling but trust me (I'm a DR ) there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

looking forward to that.

Comment

Yes please Mr DR

The waiting is hurting me...but its killing my wife. she's wants this resolved and today (without us paying any money of course). so many unknowns, do we build the extension (via a small remortgage - cannot do anymore due to the damm banks), do we buy the new car (via finance), do we sell everything and leave the country......

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
                  That my friend is the correct question !!!
                  they arent after us, they are after MP. we are just collateral.

Comment

IMO Montp is the only way to go and they are backing us 100%. As you say, communication is not their strong point. But its the end result that counts.

Thanks again in all your efforts in keeping us updated - I am going to +ve rep you and hope others will do the same (see the star in the bottom left corner of each post).

BP

Comment

Think I might buy a donkey when all this is over!

Comment

Working...
                      X