• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
    This bit seems to add support to Toocan's theory that IoM were deliberately targeted.
    Making it personal? Nah, HMRC don't send out letters with specific contact names on them to discuss your situation do they? It's normally an office contact where you call with your reference number and get directed from a hacked off operator to a "department". When have you ever had letters from HMRC with the same person as the contact over years and giving you a direct dial to discuss your situation in person with them? That's stuff from Relate me thinks. Err, just checked my HMRC letter pile. Might need to update this post in a few minutes....

Comment

MP appointment

I'm booked in with my MP. Looking forward to it......

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
        I'd list the bloke who sent the fax and the officer who received it but I don't think it's fair to name names and make it personal. Also forgot to add that not only did the date stamp say 1996 but the time it was sent was 3.45am. I don't think even HMRC are that keen on this matter. BTW, the bloke who sent the fax still works in that department I'm led to believe. Good to have continuity I guess.
        Maybe you should name names TSBT. After all, it's personal to all of us
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
          Making it personal? Nah, HMRC don't send out letters with specific contact names on them to discuss your situation do they? It's normally an office contact where you call with your reference number and get directed from a hacked off operator to a "department". When have you ever had letters from HMRC with the same person as the contact over years and giving you a direct dial to discuss your situation in person with them? That's stuff from Relate me thinks. Err, just checked my HMRC letter pile. Might need to update this post in a few minutes....
          You mean I don't have a friendly "account manager" for my case? I'm shocked

Comment

Letter to MP

Long time lurker, but have sent a letter off to my MP, Mark Hunter of LibDems. Will sort a meeting when I can

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
              Brown envelope arrived today, nothing special, basically some inspector saying that responsibility for my returns has been passed to them from Brannigan....
              Any further thoughts on what to do when the next set of letters turn up? (ie "please hand over the dosh") Are we still supposed to be sending them to MP?

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                Any further thoughts on what to do when the next set of letters turn up? (ie "please hand over the dosh") Are we still supposed to be sending them to MP?
                yes

Comment

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
                  This bit seems to add support to Toocan's theory that IoM were deliberately targeted.
                  Wonder if there is a wider souring of arrangements between the UK and IoM and we are just collateral damage.

Isle of Man Health Care Agreement Scrapped
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Well I thought it amusing .........

After seeing Santa's Avatar change, I thought I would scour the Internet to find something witty to add to my user account... look what I found.

Moira Stuart caught in tax furore | AccountingWEB

The official face of HMRC in recent years has attracted media attention for channelling her fees through a personal services company.

The BBC newsreader, who fronts the Self Assessment advertising campaign with the catchphrase "tax doesn't have to be taxing", set up the firm that entitled her to pay corporation tax at the small companies rate of 21% on some of her earnings.

The Telegraph reported that Companies House filings reveal she is sole director and shareholder of Moira Stuart Limited. The accounts show that £22,607 was paid into the company in 2010-11, and after £1,749 of administrative expenses, she paid £4,380 in corporation tax on the profit.

The arrangement is legitimate for freelancers, but HMRC is supposed to take action against people who it judges to be "disguised employees".

You bunch of Tulips... did your homework again I see.

No rant today.... yet
                    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
                      After seeing Santa's Avatar change, I thought I would scour the Internet to find something witty to add to my user account... look what I found.

Moira Stuart caught in tax furore | AccountingWEB

The official face of HMRC in recent years has attracted media attention for channelling her fees through a personal services company.

The BBC newsreader, who fronts the Self Assessment advertising campaign with the catchphrase "tax doesn't have to be taxing", set up the firm that entitled her to pay corporation tax at the small companies rate of 21% on some of her earnings.

The Telegraph reported that Companies House filings reveal she is sole director and shareholder of Moira Stuart Limited. The accounts show that £22,607 was paid into the company in 2010-11, and after £1,749 of administrative expenses, she paid £4,380 in corporation tax on the profit.

The arrangement is legitimate for freelancers, but HMRC is supposed to take action against people who it judges to be "disguised employees".

You bunch of Tulips... did your homework again I see.

No rant today.... yet
                      They are all at it. But it does make my blood boil when self-sanctimonious BBC presenters/journalists/politicos preach one thing and practice another.
                      Last edited by SantaClaus; 15 March 2012, 11:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X