• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taura View Post
    The statute of limitations kicks in once the loss is known. As the loss is not yet known, or indeed a given, my understanding of the law says this means the clock has not yet started ticking for action against the provider. IF there is indeed a case for them to answer. Certainly when I joined the scheme in 2004<b> they told me it was watertight,</b> so IF HMRC had stated otherwise to them by that point, or people were already under investigation, they would have a case to answer.

And that is an 'IF'.
    Who told you it was watertight ? Don't know about you but I went to a New Media presentation in London. It wasn't Montpelier telling me how iron clad the scheme was it this intermediary, who no longer exist ! Who ya gonna sue. I think MP have been very shrewd in all this and have covered their arses long time ago.

Comment

More 'inaccuracy'

Originally posted by Keith Kershaw View Post
      Can anyone help me to understand an aspect of the judgement relating to Mr Huitson's employment status?

Paragraph 11 explains that Mr Huitson was self-employed. However, it also states that he would have been caught by IR35, and could not have obtained any tax advantage by supplying his services through an intermediary company.

Eh?

The opposite is normally true. If the activity passes self-employment tests, it is outside IR35's scope. If not, you are an employee for this activity, and you are caught by IR35.

What gives?
      And the judgement is written as if the HMRC didn't try and take us to a tribunal before
      the BN66 came in. I was told a number of times that they did and thats exactly
      what I expected to happen.

The more I read it, the more it just looks like a paraphrasing of the HC judgement.

If it makes anyone feel any better, the judge spoke this morning as if he expected
      appeals to the SC to happen.

And whilst I think about it, the judgement reckons that retrospection should have been
      expected because HMRC didn't say they wouldn't use it. How does that work?
      What else should I expect ?? They haven't said that they wouldn't use custard pies,
      so should I be calling Mrs Murdoch?
      Last edited by PlaneSailing; 25 July 2011, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by sjw View Post
        with respect - we're supposed to put our lives on hold again?? no fear.
        Well of course it is worrying, but better paying later than sooner surely - if you are that concerned you can just buy one of those credit note things that everyone is talking about - but if either SC goes our way or HMRC are reasonable enough to negotiate settlements (which is by far better than making people bust) then you may regret your decision to buy those notes. There are bank accounts out there that do pay a reasonable rate of interest.

At the end of the day this is a very serious matter for us, and HMRC and the Government itself, and hence SC is the only way forward here.
        Join the campaign at
        http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by rosbiff View Post
          Who told you it was watertight ? Don't know about you but I went to a New Media presentation in London. It wasn't Montpelier telling me how iron clad the scheme was it this intermediary, who no longer exist ! Who ya gonna sue. I think MP have been very shrewd in all this and have covered their arses long time ago.
          Certainly when they changed their legal name from MTM I did wonder if it was to protect themselves against this very scenario...

I am not so sure that can be used to escape such claims however, if the organisation is essentially the same org with a different name, I believe they will still find it hard to escape a negligence claim.

I think this is moot however. It's my belief that they will fight to the SC as stated.

Comment

I'm sure they have. Let's find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
              Well of course it is worrying, but better paying later than sooner surely - if you are that concerned you can just buy one of those credit note things that everyone is talking about - but if either SC goes our way or HMRC are reasonable enough to negotiate settlements (which is by far better than making people bust) then you may regret your decision to buy those notes. There are bank accounts out there that do pay a reasonable rate of interest.

At the end of the day this is a very serious matter for us, and HMRC and the Government itself, and hence SC is the only way forward here.
              I'd happily consider buying a CTD if the people who put me in this position could be bothered enough to tell me how much for.

Comment

I'd happily consider buying a CTD if the people who put me in this position could be bothered enough to tell me how much for.
                and for the record - judging by the number of pms I've had this afternoon I am far from alone

Comment

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post

It is a very serious matter - for us. Don't kid yourself with regards to HMRC and certainly not the government.

Comment

Something will have to change!!!

and for the record - judging by the number of pms I've had this afternoon I am far from alone
                    I agree that it will be hard for many of us (me included!) to just say ok, we will await another few years (or how long it takes) , before we do anything. I agree with those who say that our lives have been on hold for SO LONG now....

I just wish that HMRC would see some sense in thinking that if they just asked for the initial amounts, then they may well get in a lot more money than they would if they held out for all the interest payments as well!!

Maybe there is a case for Montpelier to ask who wants to negotiate and who wants to fight another day?

Comment

Well I for one was told this in person by WG himself as were a number of others at the same presentation!

Let's not forget, the SC may well agree with MP thus making it watertight.... Just becuse the lower courts thought otherwise doesn't make it so, nothing matters until all avenues have been explored and the final ruling delievered!

We shouldn't be bashing MP, as far as I'm concerned they've done everything they said they would do and I have no reason to believe they won't follow through to the SC and beyond....

Comment

Working...
                      X