• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to read something that will make you sick, hop over to this thread...

Tony Blair and the £8million tax 'mystery'

Hypocrisy doesn't get any bigger.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 8 January 2012, 23:36.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      If you want to read something that will make you sick, hop over to this thread...

Tony Blair and the £8million tax 'mystery'

Hypocrisy doesn't get any bigger.
      so when does the HMRC investigation start then?? If it was one of us theyd be all over us like a cheap suit..

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        so when does the HMRC investigation start then?? If it was one of us theyd be all over us like a cheap suit..
        It will take a while. Blair bought Branningan a nice lunch.

HTH

Comment

HMRC time machine cranked up again

Tax officials are entitled to investigate a tax return after the usual one-year limit has passed if their discovery assessment letter meets one of two tests, according to a recent Court of Appeal ruling that reaffirms a long-established power for the taxman.

Derek Hankinson v HM Revenue & Customs focused on whether HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) used a section of tax law correctly – section 29 of the Taxes Management Act 1970 – when it investigated the Self Assessment tax return of the taxpayer, Hankinson, for the tax year 1998-1999 – six years after it was filed.

In 2005 HMRC assessed Hankinson tax return for 1998-1999. The taxman said Hankinson owed £30m in income tax and capital gains tax for 1998-1999 because he was still a resident in the UK for tax purposes, despite having moved to the Netherlands.

Tax certainty is everything in a democracy. Six years post filing but why did HMRC stop there - why didnt they go back to 1987 or the day he started work? The problem here is they will do it once too often and a large number of companies will simply exit the UK. HMRC will be sitting there wondering where all the tax revenues have gone!!.

Comment

enquiry letters

Did anyone ever receive a response regarding copies of letters relating to HMRC opening enquiries? I sent one and havent heard a bean?

Comment

Did anyone ever receive a response regarding copies of letters relating to HMRC opening enquiries? I sent one and havent heard a bean?
              I sent one early Dec. Heard nothing...
              http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

No response from the one I sent early December 2011

Comment

time to send some follow ups me thinks, gotta keep em busy!

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                    No response from the one I sent early December 2011
                    I got a nice letter from them just before Xmas with copies of letters opening enquiries unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by funjim View Post
                      I got a nice letter from them just before Xmas with copies of letters opening enquiries unfortunately
                      hmmm, i wonder if them not replying means they are struggling to find originals and/or are recalculating stuff on the basis of not having sent them originally!!! fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                      X