• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read the newsletter a couple more times and, as with 3 years ago, there is only one word that comes to mind.

Vacuous.

A complete waste of paper and postage.

I don't know what HMRC are smoking but they are totally deluding themselves if they think the promoters are going to waste time discussing hypothetical cases in a tax tribunal post-Supreme Court.

What are they going to do if no-one obliges? Raid offices and have people arrested?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      I have read the newsletter a couple more times and, as with 3 years ago, there is only one word that comes to mind.

Vacuous.

I don't know what HMRC are smoking but they are totally deluding themselves if they think the promoters are going to waste time discussing hypothetical cases in a tax tribunal post-Supreme Court.

What are they going to do if no-one obliges? Raid offices and have people arrested?
      Well...you know the government are looking to cut back waste within the civil service. I too have read the newsletter several times and can find no value in it at all. If Mr Osborne is reading I can point you to a government department in SALFORD that appears to be twiddling their thumbs and sending out utterly pointless letters to people.

That's got to save a few pounds.
      There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
        The reality is that if we were to all start individual proceedings before the SC, there is f*** all he can do about it. Tribunal would have to defer each and every one till post SC, but each case would be up and running.
        Would it be worth one of us calling his bluff and doing this? Just to set precedent.
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Vacuous.

I think it's pretty obvious that this was sent for no other reason than to yank our chains coming up to Christmas. They've no other letters to send out, so let's do a 'newsletter'. It's pathetic. Get a life Brannigan. Funny too, in a sad little man way. I thought he'd have got a promotion away from this after so effortlessly bringing in the dough … seems not … well maybe in 4 or 5 years when the sh#tstorm you've created clears a bit, eh?

Anyway, one big plus, it's all been quiet here, and now we've all got something to chat about. A Merry Christmas to you all and a Happy New Year. Cheers!

Comment

Appeal

Has a date been set that our permission to appeal is granted/refused? I see from the Supreme Court website that decisions seem to be made around the start of the month.

Comment

More FOI requests???

Would it be worth submitting a FOI request to see if Brannigan et al went on strike over their pensions? It might be interesting to know if they are overall happy about rules being changed in arrears, or if they are happy only when they are being changed for other people.

Comment

NI

Hi,

Does the amount shown on the Closure Notices / Government Gateway include National Insurance due???

Comment

Vacuous.

Let’s take a step back and look at our current position before we make any ill-considered to remarks about HMRC.

Many posts have suggested that to they are stupid, ignorant etc but I watched their performance at the public accounts committee when Anthony Inglese, Dave Hartnet and Gus O’Donnell were grilled by a very experienced MP. They may be dull they may be grey but they are certainly not stupid.

I also remember some years ago contestants from HMRC were one of the professional university challenges when they won hands down.

I would prefer to use adjectives such as cunning, devious, bullies and if I am being generous even astute to describe the senior staff at HMRC

So let’s not underestimate their ability, after all let us look at the position we are in now. They have manipulated parliament into passing retrospective legislation; they have won two legal cases and have shifted the argument away from The Rees rules and previous HMRC protocols on changing legislation onto this airy fairy argument about “fair taxation”

Commenting on the the letter from Brannigan one thing that strikes me is that although they mention the Huitson and Shiner at the Supreme Court they make no mention of KPMG at the ECHR.

It would appear that the ECHR case has not yet been fully registered so HMRC may not yet be aware that this has being submitted.

In any event again reading through Brannigan's this letter it appears that they consider the Supreme Court to be the end of the legal battle and that will be the time to start enforcing collection. As they acknowledge having won the legal fight on human rights the matter now turns to the tax tribunals.

So let’s try and be a bit more proactive in our battle for “justice”

Apart from a the legal cases involving breach of human rights there are several other courses of action open to us. It would not be prudent to outline these in an open forum such as this but for a start we have three separate groups fighting S58PwC, KPMG and Montpelier.

Wouldn’t it be sensible to form a single fighting group from all those who oppose this travesty of justice and gather support from organisations such as CIOT, Law Society, IoD and many MP’s etc to take on HMRC both in the Tax courts and to bring bully boys at HMRC to task.

Comment

News Letter

I received one of these addressed to someone else. They could not even get the name correct.

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
                      I received one of these addressed to someone else. They could not even get the name correct.
                      You might have my one still haven't received mine.... but then again the post does take a little while to arrive in the sticks.. their sort of letters tend to hit the doorstep on a Saturday.
                      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Working...
                      X