• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client will not accept invoice and VAT charge for expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@LisaContractorUmbrella - thanks very much!

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
      I've completed an expense claim form (provided by the agency) and a copy of the receipts.

They've got back to me now, apparently I was told wrong on the phone, I should have invoiced them for it after all. Still unclear as to whether I should be adding VAT to it or not, but have sent their accountant guy two invoices, one with VAT and one without.

I seem to gather from the above that if I'm invoicing them and I'm VAT registered, I have to charge VAT. Would you agree?

I appreciate your help!
      Yes but, example

Train Fare £ 50.00 (excludes VAT)
      Hotel £120.00 (includes VAT)

Sales invoice / expenses claim

Expenses £150 (note you take the VAT off the hotel bill)

VAT @ 20% 30
      ---------
      £180.00

Some agencies don't bother about extracting the VAT on the expenses, some do, especially the ones that deal with banks. VAT on VAT as some said above, the bank cannot reclaim the input VAT.

Cheers

Robot

Comment

Thanks Robot, all these costs were incurred in USA, so no VAT is included on original costs. Appreciate your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
          @LisaContractorUmbrella - thanks very much!
          You're welcome
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
          X