• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company funds lost due to fraud a deductible expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not tax deductible, but hopefully HMRC will be sympathetic about giving you time to pay, given the unusual circumstances.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      It's not tax deductible, but hopefully HMRC will be sympathetic about giving you time to pay, given the unusual circumstances.
      Thanks Clare, had a feeling that was the case but was hoping for some better news. HMRC can offer a payment plan for companies where it would cause financial hardship if it was paid again in a lump sum. I’m giving them time to evaluate my case before negotiations resume but I’m hoping they’ll remove the penalties (accountant at fault there too) and some/all of the interest in return for a lump sum payment as gesture of good will but I think I might be hoping for too much there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbait View Post
        I’m giving them time to evaluate my case before negotiations resume but I’m hoping they’ll remove the penalties (accountant at fault there too) and some/all of the interest in return for a lump sum payment as gesture of good will but I think I might be hoping for too much there.
        My last dealings with HMRC was that they have frozen the interest in return for a payment (£500) gesture of good will. Haven't set up a payment plan with them yet.

Comment

Can't you put a claim in against the accountant insurance policy? You will probably have to submit a formal complaint to their accounting body, assuming they have one. I guess if you have suffered from fraud you have already started a complaint anyway?
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            Can it not be written off against company profits as a bad debt or something?
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
              Can't you put a claim in against the accountant insurance policy? You will probably have to submit a formal complaint to their accounting body, assuming they have one. I guess if you have suffered from fraud you have already started a complaint anyway?
              Yeah, few things in the works at the moment.

Comment

OP, how much money have you been stung for?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  OP, how much money have you been stung for?
                  Prefer not to disclose exactly but it's 5 figures, so although not crippling it's enough to bother chasing it.

Comment

Working...
                  X